IP Address 10.10.10.1?

If I wanted to change this IP address, would I have to change using 193.167.x.x or 192.168.x.xxx?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Both the 192.168 and 10.10 are private subnets so either can be used for the same purpose.

Do a search for private subnet ranges and you should get a few more as well.

If you put a public address on the inside it would still work as it isn't routed over the Internet and NAT should handle the translation. This would only become an issue if you tried to browse by ip address in which case it would check internal first.

• 9 years ago

Most of the answers you have gotten are mostly correct except for the one by Short_R (What ever). Yes it is true that you own the router or modem but there are two different IP address ranges. One is called public and the other is called private.

The difference is this; Public address can be routed on the internet. Private address can NOT be router through the internet.

The three private ranges that are most used are the following:

192.168.X.X (Where X can be anything from 1 to 254)

10.X.X.X. (Again using any number for X between 1 and 254)

These are the two most conman ones but there is also another range 172.16.X.X to 172.31.X.X (again follow the X rule above)

If you put a public address range on the local LAN side of your modem or router it "might" work for a while but eventually you will run into a situation where your router will get confused because it will see your public address both inside on teh private range and the outside public range and will usually end up failing to respond because it will be stuck in a loop.

Most up to date routers will have some type of software check built in to stop you from entering anything like that but some older ones might let it slip by.

If there is a major reason for moving of the 10.10.10.X private range its OK, but if not I would not because 192.168.X.X is the most commonly used private range and sometimes you will end having a problem. i personally use the 10 network for all my local LAN stuff.

Hope that helps.

• 9 years ago

It is your router, you own it. You can put anything you want that conforms to TCP/IP address policy.

~

192. is an Internal address.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You can use 192.168.x.xxx

Thanks

James

www.mhsoftbd.org

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.