Can i use Dettol to clean my infected tragus piercing?

i have had it pierced for less than a month, and i tried to change it too quickly before it healed (which i know you are never supposed to do) so it got infected, nothing SERIOUS just the little bump

i know a lot of people say to use sea salt and water mixtures, but i have this huge bottle of Dettol and i was just wondering if i could use that on a cotton swag or cotton pad, so i dont have to go out and buy sea salt

is table salt okay to use?

can come one with experience using Dettol or regular table salt please tell me if that helped the infection

Update:

why do i have to dilute the Dettol?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Salt water is the best to use and table salt is what they are referring to. Yes you can use Dettol but you must DILUTE it, look at the label and they should recommend a measurement for cleaning wounds. The only thing to stay away fro is anything alcohol based solutions, these kill healing cells. Clean,dry and turn your piercings twice daily, always with clean hands and utensils and be very cautious of it being tugged

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Tragus is harder than cartilage. It's closer to the strength of bone and seeing as it's so close to your ear canal and nerves in your cheeks it tends to hurt more, take longer to pierce by a few seconds (it takes maybe 7 seconds versus 4 or 5) and takes longer to heal. They don't pierce it the same as a cartilage. The positioning takes longer because there is less surface to pierce and with the cartilage of your ear right behind it a cork or some catching stopper is placed behind so that the needle doesn't go into your ear. Cartilage takes about 6 months to heal all the way and a tragus takes 8 to 9 months. Any piercing can take up to a year and a half if problems occur or never heal right. Keep an eye on it if you get it done. A good tip is to have a parent take you to a piercing shop, not the mall, and ask them what they do. They can show you a needle, the ring, the stopper, all of it and tell you about how long it should take to heal. Expect some tenderness for a few days to a week and if anything seems wrong talk to the person who did it. Don't play with it a lot, that promotes the germs on your hands to get into the open wound and can lead to an infection. They are there to answer questions as to avoid their clients getting nasty infections that could have been avoided. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i have my tragus pierced. use a sea salt and water mixture. when i got my nose pierced, i got a huge bump on it. you dip a cotton ball in the mixture and hold it on the piercing for about five minutes. then clean the area with a q-tip and the mixture. do this twice a day. Don't use any medication on it, bacteria and viruses thrive in it. The bump on my nose went down within a month or so. I also use the mixture on my newly pierced dermal, it's what the piercer told me to use. Usually stuff like Dettol and Bactine are not good for piercings. Don't use soap either. Alsoooo, table salt is not the same thing as sea salt and it is not what i'm referring to. Use actual sea salt, not table salt. And don't turn your piercing, the dried puss and dead cells can get into the piercing when doing so. it also prolongs the healing process. NEVER USE ALCOHOL, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, OR ANY KIND OF OINTMENT. EVER.

• 9 years ago

yes.but if its infected use antibiotic ointment..clean with alcohol..Dettol is just an antiseptic so it wont hurt to use it..

Source(s): i have piercings
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Ask a physician

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.