Broke up with bf because he got fired?

I broke up with my bf because he lost his job. he told me he got fired. when i asked why, he said he didnt know. he only knows he got fired because his name wasnt on the schedule for this week. i told him to call his boss and ask why his name wasnt on the schedule, but he didnt want to and got really upset with me... show more I broke up with my bf because he lost his job. he told me he got fired. when i asked why, he said he didnt know. he only knows he got fired because his name wasnt on the schedule for this week. i told him to call his boss and ask why his name wasnt on the schedule, but he didnt want to and got really upset with me and he got super defensive. i told him again the next day and he told me to stop annoying/badgering him about it.

im just angry at him because hes 23 and old enough to take initiative and set things clear. he should be preparing to file for unemployment or probably even unlawful termination. and it's not just that, either. he's been working there for a long time and talked to the manager a lot. i mean, he said they would take drinks sometimes and stuff, so i dont see why he cant call him and ask him what the deal is?

we were in a serious relationship and had plans to live together and everything...but i really dont want to be with a man who i dont feel has enough common sense or dignity to set things straight. it shows that he holds no responsibility. i cant put my faith in someone who cant do the right thing for himself, let alone me or possibly even a family.

i told him this and he said i was cold hearted and how i could abandon him in his time of need..

It's not really what happened that bothered me, but how he handled it.
I don't know. Am I overreacting?