Moms: did you get the pertussis vaccination for yourself?

Our birth experience at our hospital was terrible (with everything from them "forgetting" to give me medicines, nstructions, explanations, forgetting to ask important questions, etc), and I realized after looking through my paperwork that I never got the pertussis vaccination for myself nor did my husband. My daughter is now 1 mo old. Should I go get one or just let it go since she is already 1 mo old? I don't work and I don't take her very many places right now since its so cold and there's so many people outside but I'm still worried that she's going to get sick. Did you get the vaccination? Why or why not? I'm so worried about it. Thank you.

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

The pertussis vaccine is only designed to decrease the severity of the illness (and it doesn't even do a very good job at that). It is not designed to prevent someone from catching or spreading the pertussis bacteria to others. This is because the vaccine works against the toxin that the pertussis bacteria produce in the body. The toxin is what causes the symptoms of the illness. The vaccine does not work against the bacteria that produce the toxin. Therefore, a vaccinated person can catch the bacteria from others, and transmit it to others.

The pertussis vaccine advertisements are deliberately misleading, but for legal purposes, they do include the truth in small print: "It is unknown whether immunizing adolescents and adults against pertussis will reduce the risk of transmission to infants." http://www.vaccineplace.com/support/brochure/adace... (page 5)

The Tdap vaccines have serious potential side effects, many of which are listed in the package inserts.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccine...

Anyone can get pertussis, even if fully vaccinated. I recommend that you learn to recognize the early signs of pertussis, and keep sodium ascorbate at home so that you can start treatment right away. The typical daily dose of sodium ascorbate for pertussis is 171 mg per pound of body weight. That daily dose is divided up and given about every 2 hours throughout the day. Pertussis is NOT a horrible illness if it is recognized and treated appropriately with sodium ascorbate. Sodium ascorbate is a special kind of vitamin C that you can buy at a health food store or online. It is mixed with water or any beverage. It can also be given to babies through a bottle or oral syringe.

Your fears, at the same time as comprehensible given the great disinformation campaign that exists because of the mendacity antivaxxers, are groundless and illogical. The vaccine shouldn't replace her personality. it truly is a question of disadvantages and advantages. the disadvantages of vaccine are really small. The ailments it prevents carry a a techniques more advantageous danger. Whooping cough is a thoroughly undesirable formative years ailment. have you ever considered a newborn suffering to breathe? forget concerning the anti-vaxxers above. those human beings might want to nicely be loving mom and father, yet they're thoroughly uneducated in technological understanding and medication. They declare to have performed "learn" at the same time as rather all they have "researched" is anti- vaccine propaganda and lies. it truly is elementary to exhibit. Take Holly above. some days in the past, she claimed the walker learn validates Wakefields fraud! those human beings are fully clueless. Edit: No, Holly. You correct to a piece of writing quoting the Walker learn. You used it to help your argument. And Pindar likes to lie: "Japan lately banned vaccs for the less than 2s and by employing an elementary coincidence the stats for unexpected toddler demise syndrome (SIDS) has fallen dramatically." rather the learn pertains to claims made with the help of the vaccine repayment gadget at a time at the same time as the vaccines were no longer given. you won't be able to make a declare in case you haven't had a vaccine! The SIDS/Japan declare are a clean party of only how dishonest the anti-vaxxers are. Why take heed to those those who're transparently mendacity? Why is it more advantageous logical that you'll listen different mom and father really than those who actual comprehend what they're speaking about. those parenting guru's are only idiots who imagine they're rather sensible because they have examine a gaggle of articles on the internet. that is not any longer as elementary as that!

"In some cases vaccination is unreliable. For example vaccination against pertussis has comparatively high level of primary and secondary failures. To evaluate efficiency of vaccination we introduce the idea of effective vaccination rate and suggest an approach to estimate it. We consider pertussis in New Zealand as a case study. The results indicate that the level of immunity failure for

pertussis is considerably higher than was anticipated. "

Debates have raged in professional medical journals regarding the neurotoxicity of the pertussis vaccine since 1940.

Vaccinated adolescents and adults may serve as reservoirs for silent infection and become potential transmitters to unprotected infants (3-11). The whole-cell vaccine for pertussis is protective only against clinical disease, not against infection (15-17). Therefore, even young, recently vaccinated children may serve as reservoirs and potential transmitters of infection.

Granted, we are using the acellular pertussis now in the US, but it’s widely acknowledged that the whole-cell was in fact more efficacious (but more reactive). So, even this vaccine which “worked better” than what we are currently using, didn’t prevent transmission/infection. It prevented the symptoms.

No I haven't had any vaccinations since I was 5 and almost died while having a very severe reaction to the measles mumps and rubella vaccine.

No one gets vaccines during pregnancy or while breastfeeding in my country.... there are many doctors that are openly against all vaccines and some that are against in private.

I have had 2 children... no vaccines for me or them.... and no illness or problems what so ever.

But it is about personal choice at the end of the day, if you feel that you need it, then go ahead. But I am sure that you dont need it.

I did get mine before I left the hospital. The main reason I got it was because I couldn't get the commercial out of my head with the sound of a baby coughing. And I believe the info on it says 80% of the cases where a source was identified, the child got it from a parent. Knowing I could prevent or at least help prevent her from getting sick was all it took for me. If your worried, I would go get it. It doesn't matter if she is already a month old, her immune system is still weak.

I got it even though I am SAHM. When I was teaching I we had a bad outbreak of pertussis. So I know first hand that people still do get it. And I just wanted to keep my kids as safe as possible.

Just call and ask what your child's doctor recommends.

They should have given it to you and to the baby, they usually don't give it to the father, when she was born. Go get it, yes, we all better safe then sorry. You are a good mom to worry. I am sorry they treated you poorly at the hospital.

Source(s): my own experience

i did not get any vaccines for myself,neithere will my daughter get any!this is a naturalpathic parent.btw.lol.