Why are legal immigrants also arrested on the Alabama Immigration Law?

A japanese guy was stopped in Leeds, Alabama, at a checkpoint set up by police to catch unlicenced drivers. He was ticketed on the spot, DESPITE the fact that he showed an international driver’s licence, a valid passport and a US work permit.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/03/alabama-immi...

Now this is scary for ANY FOREIGN who wants to visit Alabama

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Alabama cops have a very loose understanding of their own laws, much less US immigration law which most will know little if anything about. however, if they keep on bringing charges against foreign automaker employees in Alabama, this law will change quickly enough. Alabama did everything but sell its soul to get them to build auto plants there. the last thing they really want to do is really irritate them.

• 9 years ago

Because police is really not trained to know who is lawfully present or not. How could they? There are so many different documents, cards, EADs, visas, or even NOAs who would establish lawful presence, but it takes a competent person to know these things.

So they detained him until a judge told them that there's nothing wrong with the guy, and he was released.

Source(s): The son of a German mother and a Swedish father, I have lived in 6 European countries before immigrating to Southern California two decades ago. I work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara and answering questions here is my way of giving back.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You can find an idiot cop anywhere you go bud, doing alot worse things than that so dont get carried away! The law is working by just passing it into law. Sit back and relax they will work all the kinks out within the first year.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Why? Because the police officer who wrote the ticket was poorly trained. This is so much less serious than a Border Patrol officer getting killed with a gun that OUR govt allowed to be sold to Mexican drug gangs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You don't think that legal immigrants commit crimes?

Andby the way, if you get a stupid ticket, go to the judge and fight it. It's happened to me.One guy doesn't make up for the thousands of blood sucking illegal aliens they will catch.

And did he get arrested or deported? NO

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's worth the odd mistake if I drives illegals out. You can't make an omelette without breaking an egg

• 9 years ago

It specifically says he was charged with an immigration violation, which the judge dismissed.

My guess is that he was the victim of a poorly trained or overzealous police officer. Hopefully the AL attorney general will make good on his attempt to rein in this disaster of a law before more LEGAL immigrants are caught in the dragnet and international corporations decide to take their tax dollars elsewhere.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Perhaps, because, I don't know, maybe he committed a traffic violation, which is the reason he was stopped in the fist place!

• 9 years ago

Because it is the deep, racist south. They were lynching black people not too many decades ago. And they are really screwing themselves with this new law because the Americans they hired to replace the immigrants quit after a day lol

• KIZE
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

All it says is he was ticketed. It does not say for what. If he was doing something wrong or his vehicle was not in proper running order, he would have gotten a ticket. lol. Sounds like a bogus attempt to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.