What question would you like to ask the Republican presidential candidates about immigration?

Yahoo! News and ABC News will host a Republican presidential debate on Saturday, December 10, at Drake University in Des Moines, IA. Here is your opportunity to ask the candidates your specific questions about immigration. Let us know and we may include your question in the debate. You can also tweet your question to #IowaDebate.

Make sure to check back and watch the debate on December 10 at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT on ABC News. We’ll provide the link.

678 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Thank you for your questions. We hope you had an opportunity to watch the GOP debate on Saturday, Dec. 10, to see how the candidates addressed some of the issues you raised. If you didn’t see the debate, turn to Yahoo! News and ABC News’ coverage at the links below to read about the candidates’ stances on issues based on your questions. Thanks again for your questions and for participating!

Analysis: Newt Gingrich survives first big night of attacks

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/analysis-newt-g...

What now? Why the next 10 days are the most critical of the GOP campaign

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/now-why-next-10...

Yahoo! readers rate the debate: ‘$10,000 is more than some people make in a year’

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/yahoo-readers-r...

Full Transcript: ABC News Iowa Republican Debate

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/full-transcript-abc...

• 4 years ago

Why do we insist on giving Mexico a break on not having the proper paperwork. Just like everyone else that comes here for a better life they should be held to the same standards. When we travel to other countries we have to have our passport with us to enter that country. If we are going to have laws then we should abide by them and stop letting illegals enter our country without the correct paperwork. I am not against anyone from coming the the United States but our laws should be enforced. Part of the problem is, that we don't have secure borders and we hear it in the news all the time. I am sure everyone watches those shows about how many illegals they catch crossing the border everyday and the problems we are having with drugs getting across our border. Why not use the military more to guard our borders, isn't that one of the reason why we have a military to protect our nation? It seems we talk about this topic all the time but nothing is being done to prevent it. What are you candidants going to do different that every other president hasn't done? Who ever is elected we will still continue to have the same problems. So what is the point discussing it.

• 8 years ago

I don't understand why there should be a debate about this. Just follow the law. When you come to the United States you are required to have a greencard to visit and that applies to every person whether they are from Mexico,Europe,Asia,or Africa. Why do we insist on giving Mexico a break on not having the proper paperwork. Just like everyone else that comes here for a better life they should be held to the same standards. When we travel to other countries we have to have our passport with us to enter that country. If we are going to have laws then we should abide by them and stop letting illegals enter our country without the correct paperwork. I am not against anyone from coming the the United States but our laws should be enforced. Part of the problem is, that we don't have secure borders and we hear it in the news all the time. I am sure everyone watches those shows about how many illegals they catch crossing the border everyday and the problems we are having with drugs getting across our border. Why not use the military more to guard our borders, isn't that one of the reason why we have a military to protect our nation? It seems we talk about this topic all the time but nothing is being done to prevent it. What are you candidants going to do different that every other president hasn't done? Who ever is elected we will still continue to have the same problems. So what is the point discussing it.

• 4 years ago

When you come to the United States you are required to have a greencard to visit and that applies to every person whether they are from Mexico,Europe,Asia,or Africa. Why do we insist on giving Mexico a break on not having the proper paperwork. Just like everyone else that comes here for a better life they should be held to the same standards. When we travel to other countries we have to have our passport with us to enter that country. If we are going to have laws then we should abide by them and stop letting illegals enter our country without the correct paperwork. I am not against anyone from coming the the United States but our laws should be enforced. Part of the problem is, that we don't have secure borders and we hear it in the news all the time. I am sure everyone watches those shows about how many illegals they catch crossing the border everyday and the problems we are having with drugs getting across our border. Why not use the military more to guard our borders, isn't that one of the reason why we have a military to protect our nation? It seems we talk about this topic all the time but nothing is being done to prevent it. What are you candidants going to do different that every other president hasn't done? Who ever is elected we will still continue to have the same problems. So what is the point discussing it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The United States should provide legal residence to the ones that are here now and do not have a criminal background history, those that do should be sent home. Futhermore, I do not understand how we can travel halfway across the world to secure other countries borders and yet cannot secure our own. Do we not have a full military that can handle this for us, I mean this is what they are there for is to protect the United States, with or without force. I think the United States should put Mexico on NOTICE that if they can't stop the problem to be prepared for our military to take over and fix it once and for all. I just can't understand a country as big as ours and can't control its own borders from drug runners and illegals from coming across, I believe if the United States showed that force would be used to deter any crossings then this would halt immediately once the word got out that force is being used. If conditions are so bad in our neighbor's backyard why are we not making an effort to clean it up, hell we do it a half a world away and they don't even want us there. Over here this is our own security risk, yet we want to go fight across the world for a country that is not even ours, nor does it pose a risk to our security like the mexican border does.Tired of hearing all of the excuses, it is time for one of these politicians to stop worrying about how many ethinic votes he can get if he does nothing and FIX the problem. Like I said before, let the hardworking illegals that are currently here, stay, but if they have criminal behavior, send them home and close the borders once and for all.

• 4 years ago

Futhermore, I do not understand how we can travel halfway across the world to secure other countries borders and yet cannot secure our own. Do we not have a full military that can handle this for us, I mean this is what they are there for is to protect the United States, with or without force. I think the United States should put Mexico on NOTICE that if they can't stop the problem to be prepared for our military to take over and fix it once and for all. I just can't understand a country as big as ours and can't control its own borders from drug runners and illegals from coming across, I believe if the United States showed that force would be used to deter any crossings then this would halt immediately once the word got out that force is being used. If conditions are so bad in our neighbor's backyard why are we not making an effort to clean it up, hell we do it a half a world away and they don't even want us there. Over here this is our own security risk, yet we want to go fight across the world for a country that is not even ours, nor does it pose a risk to our security like the mexican border does.Tired of hearing all of the excuses, it is time for one of these politicians to stop worrying about how many ethinic votes he can get if he does nothing and FIX the problem. Like I said before, let the hardworking illegals that are currently here, stay, but if they have criminal behavior, send them home and close the borders once and for all.

• 8 years ago

Why do so many businesses get a pass from existing immigration hiring laws? in other words, why do so many republican law makers and law enforcement ignore the many illegals working in the US. As we saw in Georgia when there is a true crack down, many move back and 'reverse immigrate', when their illegal school age children are deported their parents must move back, and we could take similar steps but notice such measures are rarely taken, and yet when we see they are we can see evidence of how effective it is. It leads me to think since the 1980's both democrats and republicans, mostly due to the fact larger and medium sized businesses wanted them, jobs filled by illegals was a silent fact that lead to the immigration issue today. Why don't nations like Russia have an immigration problem? they have a huge border? There are specific reasons why we have an issue and I feel republican lawmakers are part of that problem. Simply put? Why don't you crack down on businesses and empower local sheriff's with a mandate to do so. We can find instances where local sheriffs did that and were effective and the 'powers that be' ie the state-federal authorities made a stink out of it. Yet, who should get the tax payer mandate and power: those who are effective at the job. In this case, empower local sheriffs. INS, if they are serious? Contact me I have plenty of ways you can increase your deportation rate. Start with Wal Mart? Simply shop at night and low and behold you will find illegals shopping. It might sound like profiling but trust me, you'll find paydirt if you take such approaches. Also go though and systematically see which school children are legal or not, and if not, deport them, their parents will follow back to whereever they came from.

Source(s): My sources is myself and various news articles, such as the ones describing how effective local sheriffs can be in rooting out illegals. Sure some local cops are corrupt and will warn local businesses. that too is part of the problem.
  • 8 years ago

The last attempt at real immigration reform by the Bush Administration failed in Congress because it lacked support form conservatives and liberals. The liberals wanted a fast path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and did not favor increased enforcement efforts while many conservatives felt it was an amnesty that rewarded illegal immigrants. The reform would have provided the U.S. Government with more tools during the recession that followed such as control of permit quantities in future years, denial of subsequent guest work permits for less than law abiding guest workers, and additional tax revenue from a reduced underground economy. How would you navigate your immigration reform plan past the two ideological extremes in Congress to achieve the necessary 60 votes in the Senate so it doesn't become another missed opportunity?

• 8 years ago

America has over 12 million people on unemployment and We have over 12 million illegal aliens in this country . We need to get this stopped , remember the Alamo , the just keep coming. According to cbs news America doesn't have a clue how many guns have been sold to Mexico the last two years , they'll come take it soon . They'll be quite a few Service Men and Women ( THANK GOD ) coming home soon and they'll also need jobs before another useless war is started . I called the local police to report what I thought were a group of illegals working on a roof , and they said their hands were tied , couldn't do anything about it , but if I go over 6 miles an hour over the speed limit or don't use my blinker or seat belt I will get a ticket . THE REASON THE ARE CALLED ILLEGAL IS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!!!!!

Source(s): CBS NEWS , YAHOO NEWS
  • 5 years ago

Only companies can go to many places because its a money thing. You send jobs overseas{Big Corporations }, and the american people go on wel-fare. Can't you worry about building the U.S. back from the brink of disaster? If you are so worried about illegials, just close the doors to All immigrants, period. How dare you stand there and worry about a bunch of nonenglish-speaking , job- robbing immigrants when this country needs attention to more important issues. Let me come up on stage with you, and I can tell you exactly how the American people really feel. Maybe I'd make a better candidate than any of you Lorna J. Bigelow A very concerned citizen

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I live in AZ. We have many illegals here. Not just from Mexico but Canada too. Most of them work under the table for cash. When I worked as an office manager in a warehouse in Phoenix, we would catch them using other people's social security cards and different names to get jobs. It is a problem. As a Private Process Server now, when I serve people from another country, most try to say they cannot speak English or do not understand what is going on when I serve them. Sometimes I feel they are just trying to take advantage. Why not send the all home Mr. Gingrich? I don't care if you have been here 25 years and been a good boy. You are still here illegally! And Mr. Perry, I couldn't go to college because I couldn't afford it! And I was born in the USA! Daddy a vet! Same on you! You are encouraging illegal immigration! Thank-you Kim Wood Lake Havasu City, AZ

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.