Why did Jesus pray to the Father calling him the only true God ? Was he admitting he wasn't the true God ?

John 17:1-3 niv

1 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

As you pointed out, Jesus was praying to his Father, referring to Him as the only true God. He was speaking in harmony with King David when he stated in Psalms 83 verse 18 "That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth." Just like King David, Jesus wanted all to know that God, not Jesus, is the only true God and Jesus is His Son.

Source(s): New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
  • 8 years ago

No, most certainly not.

For Christ did not consider it presumptuous to be equal with God, but humbled Himself by taking on humanity, coming in the form of a servant. He voluntarily emptied Himself without divesting Himself of any divine attribute (Philippians 2:5-8). He lived among us, as one of us. Emanuel, God with us.

Jesus claimed to be God by claiming to be the Great I AM that lead the Israelites in the desert (John 8:58). He accepted worship. And when the Jews were going to stone Him for blasphemy, FOR CLAIMING TO BE GOD, Jesus did not say, "Oh, you misunderstand. I was not claiming to be God." He NEVER denied it!

When tempted in the wilderness, to bow down and worship Satan, Jesus replied, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve." (Matthew 4:10), yet Jesus Himself accepted worship on several occasions. (Matthew 8:2; 9:18; 14:33; 15:25; 28:9,17; Mark 5:6; Luke 24:52; John 9:38; Hebrews 1:6)

Are you saying that Jesus is a hypocrite?

If you deny Christ's deity, then you make Him liar, you call Him a hypocrite, and you accuse Him guilty of idolatry!

Source(s): The Bible
  • 8 years ago

The very idea that Jesus would deny that God in heaven was the only true God is preposterous! Of COURSE Jesus agreed with the scriptures about there being only one true God!

Anyone reading the entire prayer will get the entire picture. That means reading 26 verses. We learn that the name of the Father is the name of Christ (vs 11) so that to call upon the name of God is to call upon the name of Jesus. We learn that Jesus has authority over all people; that Jesus gives eternal life to all whom the Father gives to Christ (vs 2). We learn that we cannot know the Father without also knowing Jesus Christ (vs 3). We learn that the Father is in Christ, they are one (vs 20). We learn that every Christian will have Jesus dwelling in them (by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) (vs 26). Now, here's the crunch point:

Why is it that people who profess to be Christian, but who neither have nor want the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, deny that Jesus is God? Does that not explain their refusal to even contemplate the amazing incarnation of the Word of God?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No, Jesus was 100% man and 100% God at the same time and Jesus and His Father are one (John 10:30) but at that point, Jesus was God in flesh form (John 1:14) and was about to die as a man.

Jesus was sent to earth to do a specific task, so He was called the Son of God, in His humanity.

He was and is the true and living God of the universe. There is no denying that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

A baby/child who comes out of a woman’s private parts on planet earth is HUMAN and NOT God. But Muslims have made mohamed a god

the 100% criminal -> mohamed, called himself a prophet and made himself a god by asking muslims to pray to him.

But provided no proof that he was divine nor a prophet. It's like a donkey who says that he is a horse.

There are many evidences in the quran that tells one to reject mohamed

Allah of the quran is just secondary, this allah did not explicitly say that it is monotheistic.

In islam there is also the worship of the black stone, besides mohamed. This is idolatry but then again islam is rooted in shirk

Only criminals worship mohamed as he fit's their mentality.

Since mohamed was not a prophet he attributed worship of himself, made himself a partner to allah, encouraged the worship of the goddesses of islam i.e al, lat, al manat & al uzza etc. Islam has a pantheon of gods.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Our Saviour, being no Christian Himself, knew better than to call Himself God of any kind : true or false.

His disciples claim Him to be God and that's in a way true too, because everyone is a part of God including Him.

Hence all of us are Children of God and a part of Him and a little bit of Him; but none so true as the God Himself.

Jesus realized this deductive truth we live in denial about.

THAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT FROM US AND MAKES HIM MORE GOD THAN ANY OTHER.

Hope I helped.

• 8 years ago

How many Gods do you suppose there are? I believe in the Father,Son and Holy Spirit....one God. If you would read and pray for understanding you would begin to understand. Jesus said " I and the Father are one..the prophets said he would be God with us..Jesus was born a man for your salvation as such he was in submission to God..Ive said it before and I will.say it again..your.not going to get it from any man John 3.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Obviously, Jesus is one with God. Did you notice in verse 5 it says he had been with him before the world began? God the Father is the only true God and this statement is true. He's not denying the trinity either. Jesus didn't speak as we speak today in the modern world. That should be obvious too.

• 8 years ago

Yes, he was admitting it in his prayers. It was no effort for him to recognize God, his Father, as the only true God, because he wasn't a Trinitarian. He was really clear to the scribes about how he felt too here in the following passage:

Mark 12:28-33 KJV

"And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Thanks for a great question! Yay! Glory to God, the Father, in the name of his Son, our Lord Jesus Christ!!

http://www.21stcr.org/multimedia-2011/1-wmv/jdg-tr...

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No, he was not "admitting" to any such thing. You should learn the doctrine of trinity, which teaches that the Father is, indeed, the only true God - because there is one and only one true God. Jesus is also that very same only true God. The Holy Spirit is also that very same only true God.

As you can see - once again - the doctrine of trinity agrees 100% with the Bible. The same is *not* true of alternate doctrines.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.