I need a country music expert to help me!?

So long story short, I'm writing a book and one of my main characters is a big country music fan, so I'm trying to give myself a crash cousre in good country music. (I may be referencing multiple real country songs in the book.) I am already aware of the amazing awesomeness of Johnny Cash, so you need not tell me about him, but here's what I'm looking for: Can anybody give me what you think are the five best songs by the following artists:

Tim McGraw

Brad Paisley

Garth Brooks

Toby Keith

Kenny Chesney

Willie Nelson

Dwight Yoakam

(P.S. I am only looking for songs by male country artists, so no Leann Rhymes or Taylor Swift etc.)

Thank you so much!

Thank you all so much! All 7 of you who gave me serious, good answers! This all was of great help to me, I think I have what I need for my book, and I have a few new songs to add to my Ipod I think. ;)

Favorite Answer

Urf a crash course in country music, not an easy go of it there. There are some legends besides Johnny and Willie that will help get somewhat of a grounding in country music. First I'm separating. That is Chet Atkins, he is considered a master, or legendary guitarist. I know at least two of those names you listed played with Chet Atkins. He was a star in his own right, and an under rated singer, but best known for his guitar playing.

But first I list some songs from the ones you listed before going any further.

Garth Brooks "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" - "Friends in Low Places" - "Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House" - "Papa Loved Mama" - "American Honky-Tonk Bar Association"

Kenny Chesney "She's Got It All" - "All I Need to Know" - "You Had Me from Hello" - "Don't Happen Twice" - "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems"

Toby Keith "Should've Been a Cowboy" - "How Do You Like Me Now?!" - "A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action" - "We Were in Love"

Willie Nelson "Touch Me" - "Remember Me" - "All of Me" - "Uncloudy Day" - "Midnight Rider"

Brad Paisley "He Didn't Have to Be" - "We Danced" - "I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishin' Song)" - "I Wish You'd Stay" - "Little Moments"

Dwight Yokam "Honky Tonk Man" - "Guitars, Cadillacs" - "Little Sister" - "I Sang Dixie" - "A Thousand Miles from Nowhere"

Now seven more names with three songs from each one. I could have listed many others but these are seven worth knowing a few songs from, and give you maybe some more of the older legends, as a part of the crash course you're doing.

Bill Anderson “Wild Weekend” - "Give It Away" - "I Love You Drops'

Merle Haggard “Okie From Muskgoee” - Ramblin Fever" - "Mama Tried"

Waylon Jennings “Luckenback Texas” - "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line" - "Brown Eyed Handsome Man"

George Jones “Who’s Going To Fill Their Shoes” - "White Lightning" - "Treasure of Love"

Marty Robbins “El Paso” - "I Couldn't Keep from Crying" - "I'll Go on Alone"

Conway Twitty "It's Only Make Believe" - Darling You Know I Wouldn't Lie" - "That's When She Started to Stop Loving You"

Hank Williams “Hey Good Lookin” - “Lovesick Blues” - Your Cheatin Heart"

Now just a bit more on Chet Atkins. The people he played with would be a who's who of not just country music but from all over the music world. He played with not only Johnny Cash, and Willie Nelson but many other past legends greats and stars of country music. He also played with former Beatles, George Harrison to who he was a hero. He earned the nickname Mr. Guitar, for his skill as a guitar player. You could have your one character trying to bid on a guitar owned, and played by Chet for a bit of fill if it's needed. But was out bid by either the Country Music Hall of Fame, or the Guitarist's Hall of Fame. Here couple of the few songs he did sing to add into the mix. You should be able to find them on Youtube.

"I Still Can't Say Goodbye" - "Strawberry Man" - "Frog Kissin'" - "This String"

Willie Nelson- Mama,Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys, Always on my Mind, On the Road Again, Georgia on my Mind, Angel Flying too Close to the Ground

Dwight Yoakam- Guitars Cadillacs, A Thousand Miles From Nowhere, Nothing, Fast As You, Suspicious Minds.

Kenny Chesney-Don't Blink, You Had Me From Hello, Never Wanted Nothing More, You Save Me, There Goes My Life

Toby Keith - How Do You Like Me Now?, I Wanna Talk About Me, Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue, Stays in Mexico, God Love Her

Garth Brooks - Standing Outside the Fire, The Dance, Friends In Low Places, Unanswered Prayers, If Tomorrow Never Comes

Brad Paisley-Then, All Because Two People Fell in Love, She's Everything, He Didn't Have to Be, They Danced

Tim McGraw-Live Like You're Dying, Don't Take the Girl, It's Your Love(with Faith Hill), I Like It I Love It, When the Stars Go Blue

Hope this helps!!

Tim McGraw: Live Like You Were Dying

Garth Brooks: If Tomorrow Never Comes

Toby Keith: You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like That

Brad Paisley: We Danced

Kenny Chesney: Somewhere With You

Willie Nelson: You Were Always On My Mind

Dwight Yoakam: ????????? Never a favorite, sorry

Good Luck with your Book!!!!

Tim McGraw:

Grown Men Dont Cry

My Little Girl

The Cowboy In Me

Live Like You Were Dying

Where The Green Grass Grows

Brad Paisley:

We Danced

Waiting On A Woman

Whiskey Lullaby

Shes Everything

Who Needs Pictures

Garth Brooks:

The Dance

The River

If Tomorrow Never Comes

Red Strokes

That Old Wind

Toby Keith:

Red Solo Cup

My List

You Shouldnt Kiss Me Like This

Whos That Man

Dream Walking

Kenny Chesney(i could name all his songs on this as my favs):

Be As You Are

On The Cost Of Somewhere Beautiful

Dont Blink

I Lost It

Thats Why Im Here

Wille Nelson:

Always On My Mind

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

City Of New Orleans

On The Road Again

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay

Dwight Yoakam:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Things Change

Thousand Miles From Nowhere

Guitars, Cadillacs

Baby Dont Go

Source(s): southern boy and my brain is 90% country music
  • livlo9

Well, this is really about personal taste, but here's my opinion:

Tim McGraw - "Suspicions," "Back When," "Angry All The Time," "I've Got Friends That Do," "The Cowboy In Me"

Brad Paisley - "Who Needs Pictures," "Whiskey Lullaby," "Ticks," "Love Her Like She's Leavin'," "With You, Without You"

Garth Brooks - "When There's No One Around," "More Than A Memory," "Much Too Young (To Feel This D*mn Old)," "Do What You Gotta Do," "I've Got Friends In Low Places"

Toby Keith - "Love Me If You Can," "Lost You Anyway," "Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This," "Should've Been A Cowboy," "Who's That Man"

Kenny Chesney - "Livin' In Fast-Forward," "Baptism," "A Woman Knows," "I Can't Go There," "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"

Willie Nelson - "Whiskey River," "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground," "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain," "Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning," "Heartaches of a Fool"

Dwight Yoakam - "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere," "Turn It On Turn It Up Turn Me Loose," "It Only Hurts When I Cry"

Tim McGraw: Live Like You Were Dying or Something Like That

Brad Paisley: Whiskey Lullaby or Water

Garth Brooks: The Dance or Friends in Low Places

Toby Keith: Courtesy of the Red White and Blue or I Wanna Talk About Me or How Do You Like me Now

Kenny Chesney: She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy or The Good Stuff or How Forever Feels

Willie Nelson: Always on My mind

Dwight Yoakam: This Time

More I THink worth noting:

George Strait (known as the KING of Country Music): Check Yes or No or Write This Down

Keith Urban: Somebody Like You or You Look Good in my Shirt

Source(s): I absolutely LOVE country music. I have been listening to country before I was born. Grew up listening to Faith Hill, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson.! LOVE.

Tim McGraw- Felt Good On my Lips, Live Like You Were Dying, Back When

Toby Keith- Made In America, Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue, How do you like me now, I Love This Bar, Red Solo Cup, Beers Ago, etc.

Kenny Chesney- You and Tequila, The Boys of Fall, Summertime, I'm Alive

Brad Paisley- Working on a Tan, Alabama, American Saturday Night, Water, etc.

Also these movies might help

Walk the line about Johnny Cash

I saw the light about Hank Williams

Coal miners daughter about Loretta Lynn & pure country about George strait

It might help with your crash course in country

Did Ernest Tubb & Loretta Lynn ever record the old song Roll On Muddy River? I see it by several other country music stars, but thought they also did this song

Playing guitar has enriched my life, and I want to help you get that same feeling by going through these guitar lessons https://tr.im/5VH4k

By the end of some lessons, you’ll be able to strum and know enough chords to play a few of your favorite songs, which will be a lot of motivation for you.