promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Henrietta Lacks.....?

Is there a law against taking or making use of tissue (or other body parts) from a person when they are dead or still alive? Please answer in full depth. Thank you.

Like doing tests on the tissue and like growing the cells.

I am trying to write a persuasive essay on a book. The book is called The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. and if any of you have read this book. you will understand. So i was curious if it is still legal in a sense to take cells from people, like they took her cells.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Informed consent for medical procedures is taken much more seriously than is was in the 1950's.

Still, is anyone really going to want to keep their tumor or diseased gall bladder, just because someone may find a way to make those cells useful, and more to the point of the book profitable.

In her case, the tumor cells were quite unusual and tough. I was working in a medical school when tthe HELA "bomb" they talk about in the book was dropped. A lot of people thought they were working on other cell lines when they were using HELA.

No one was looking for money when they cultured those cells, and they certainly would have remove the tumor anyway,

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.