Advantages of battery electric vehicles?

Well, I already know that they help the environment and fuel savings. But i want to know, how is the dependence on other other countries, by using battery electric vehicles, reduced?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's very easy to run an electric car without using imported fuel - because electric power plants only burn domestic fuel.

Not only does this improve our national security, by removing foreign dependencies, it also keeps the money that would have been flowing out of the country here at home.

Some people complain that we will replace oil with other dependencies, by needing lithium or other elements for batteries, which we will get from other countries. However, this is not an equivalent problem. Batteries are not fuel - they are only containers for fuel. The quantity of lithium needed will be far smaller than the amounts of petroleum that we now use - and lithium is fully recyclable.

• Login to reply the answers
  • It is not, or not directly.

The fuel of the local electric generators can be coal, which is a US fuel, or natural gas, which is generally US, not imported. But may be petroleum, and that is imported.

The nice thing about your local power station is that more and more it has a growing green energy element. Here in CAlifornia, there are wind and solar components of the electric grid. That does cut import dependencies.

A non-electric car is hard to convert to french fry fuel, and hard to get off the imported oil dependencies.

• 8 years ago

One big disadvantage in cold weather regions is they probably lose a lot of starting & staying power in cold weather just like a regualar gas powered vehicle's battery does.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

batteries are not fuel.I think it is one advantage to us.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.