What question would you like to ask the Republican presidential candidates about income inequality?

Yahoo! News and ABC News will host a Republican presidential debate on Saturday, December 10, at Drake University in Des Moines, IA. Here is your opportunity to ask the candidates your specific questions about income inequality. Let us know and we may include your question in the debate. You can also tweet your question to #IowaDebate.

Make sure to check back and watch the debate on December 10 at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT on ABC News. We’ll provide the link.

2,090 Answers

Best Answer

Thank you for your questions. We hope you had an opportunity to watch the GOP debate on Saturday, Dec. 10, to see how the candidates addressed some of the issues you raised. If you didn’t see the debate, turn to Yahoo! News and ABC News’ coverage at the links below to read about the candidates’ stances on issues based on your questions. Thanks again for your questions and for participating!

Analysis: Newt Gingrich survives first big night of attacks

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/analysis-newt-g...

What now? Why the next 10 days are the most critical of the GOP campaign

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/now-why-next-10...

Yahoo! readers rate the debate: ‘$10,000 is more than some people make in a year’

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/yahoo-readers-r...

Full Transcript: ABC News Iowa Republican Debate

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/full-transcript-abc...

Let's get off this percentage thing and talk about the money being paid in taxes. First, there are almost 50% of the people in the US that do not pay taxes and worse there are a number that receive a tax refund even thought they haven't paid into the tax system. The wealthiest Americans already pay about 80% of the taxes in the country. Why should they pay any more whether they can afford it or not. If they choose to contribute to charities, invest in other businesses, buy things, that money is not controlled by the government and does good for all of us, as it goes into the economy. The tax code provides for a lower tax rate for dividends, tax free bonds, capital gains, etc., these apply to all of us not just the rich. If you've owned a house or a stock, you know about it. Secondly, any business that earns money has the right to refurbish equipment, purchase new tools and equipment and apply those expenses to the money the business earns, the net result could be a loss to the business. The business is still open and has employees that are paid for their labor. The business owners take the risk of having a business succeed or fail. An employee only has an interest, other than the job the business provides, if they have an ownership interest (stock) The majority owner still controls the business, not the employee. The employee is free to leave at any time.

I'm tired of hearing about income inequality, virtually every country in the world has income inequality, the difference is in the US you have a choice and a chance to do better, elsewhere, you'll just be poor with no empathy for your position or your discussion. Get over it people and go do something that will make you a millionaire and quit bitching because it's not being handed to you.

Furthermore, I have never met anyone who thinks it is fair that you can deduct full mortgage interest ON A SECOND HOME but if you have excessive Medical Costs they must exceed 7.5% of your income to be deductable. Only a politician who owns a second home in Washington DC and does not have to pay any out of pocket medical expenses would think this is fair. If you were a Tax Preparer like me and had to sit across the table from someone with excessive Medical Expenses due to a spouse or child having cancer or some other serious medical problem, you would change this in an instant. one I'm sure you will like even more, take all the money from the RICH in the country, leave them a week's wages, you can pick the wage since you all know what is acceptable, right? Divide all the money that is collected evenly among all Americans. Now that's a plan! Within six months, the rich would move to another country where their business ideas, etc. are valued and the "99%" would have a new home, car, whatever else the divided money would buy them and then they would file bankruptcy because the RICH would be gone and they wouldn't have a paycheck, nor would the Liberal Govt have any money to give them, unless of course we borrowed more from China,..

Those of us who work and pay for insurance are stuck as it dictates whether you can leave an employer or not…or where you might choose to work in the first place. Simply because you can’t take it with you. I had health insurance through an employer for five years and contributed to the premium. When I left the small company, I was referred by the same insurance company with the same provider's name on the card, only I was paying the whole premium. Anything that was treated under the employer's policy was now considered a pre-existing condition and no longer covered, though a premium had never been skipped. These were temporary ailments. It’s been four years with no problems and testing to prove it and the insurance company will not remove the riders. My only choice they said is to get a job with someone who has group insuand not the people of this country. You can count this question to be worth 10,000 +others. That's a given prediction.This wonderful country that we all love so dearly has been built on the backs of the less fortunate of its citizens, legal and illegal. Additionally, do you have any idea how much money it takes to bring a person over to the U.S.A. legally. The American people don't have a clue what it costs ... I know, we spent a fortune bringing my son's family (6 people) over from Mexico. The American people need to know and understand that there are charges, fees, etc etc for absolutely everything done by immigration except for the name change. People are of the belief that "illegal" aliens are taking a huge chunk of the "welfare" budget.

What is income inequality? If everyone had the same intelligence as a Bill Gates or the physical attributes of a Alex Rodriguez and only one person out of 300 million people received billions of dollars over the rest, there maybe a reason to complain. But even then, that one person will probably have something special to offer that the others don't. So quit complaining. Either be happy for those that have that special ability or stop buying their product.

A more important issue is in our education system where we have elementary school teachers telling their students and our kids that America is wrong. Our children are being taught that socialism, not freedom, is the answer. How will you promote freedom and American pride back into the classroom? How will you promote that a positive success model, hard work, discipline, respect, dreams and accountability equals the opportunity our kids need for a bright future?

Do you believe that income inequality is caused by employers looking at workers as a resource which should be paid as little as possible coupled with the belief that executives are really company owners and therefore the profits should go to them. In addition inequality is magnified by the rise of big retail businesses like walmart and target who replace many small stores where a family made a good living with big stores where 5 or less make a living and the rest make $15 an hour and most make less than $10 an hour.

If you believe the above why are you for tax cuts for the wealthy, a flat tax and against unions which will produce more income inequality which will further the decline in the middle class and ultimately cut consummer spending which is 70% of GDP?

Why is it that no one is representing the Middle Class. Almost all of the Republican candidates favor a flat tax that will mostly help the rich, and the Democrates seem to mostly want to provided benefits to those who do not work. As a result, a self employed Middle Class person like myself is in the 40.3 percent tax bracket (25% Federal & 15.3% FICA). Don't try to justify this by telling me they are two different taxes. They are computed on the same Form 1040 and paid with the same check, and the Government does not segregate the funds.

The maximum rate for a rich person is 37.9% (35% Federal and 2.9% Medicare), and you try to get us to believe that we have a progressive tax system. We do not!

It gets worse. If a Middle Class person has a large Capital Gain, it will be subject to the Alternate Minimum Tax, with rates of 26% and 28%, while the rich only pay 15% and the poor pay even less.

Furthermore, I have never met anyone who thinks it is fair that you can deduct full mortgage interest ON A SECOND HOME but if you have excessive Medical Costs they must exceed 7.5% of your income to be deductable. Only a politician who owns a second home in Washington DC and does not have to pay any out of pocket medical expenses would think this is fair. If you were a Tax Preparer like me and had to sit across the table from someone with excessive Medical Expenses due to a spouse or child having cancer or some other serious medical problem, you would change this in an instant.

I want to know who is going to help the Middle Class, and how you are planning to do it. We are sick and tired of being the Monkeys in the Middle!

Michael Noviello, Brewster, NY

Source(s): J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax

The following is a bit of humor with a serious message, while the point may not play exactly to income inequality, it does show in a simplified way how our tax system works...

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten

comes to $100 and if they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would

go something like this:

...

- The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.

- The fifth would pay $1.

- The sixth would pay $3.

- The seventh would pay $7.

- The eighth would pay $12.

- The ninth would pay $18.

- The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.)

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the

arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all

such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily

beer by $20." So drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the

first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free...but what

about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the

$20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that

$20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's

share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to

drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill

by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each

should pay. And so:

- The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).

- The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).

- The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).

- The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).

- The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).

- The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before ... and the first four continued

to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare

their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed to

the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man who was now paying nothing,

along with the first four. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he

got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I

got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first five men in unison. "We didn't get

anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down

and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they

discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of

them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax

system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from

a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they

just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas

where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.. For those who do not

understand, no explanation is possible.

— with Pat Rosenheim

Source(s): David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D. Professor of Economics University of Georgia

I work for a fast food rest making just over 35k annually), should require the following: all businesses, except hospitals, law enforcement, fire rescue and the military should shut down for two months. Now those two months without profit would be the RICH folks price to pay in lost income for being rich. Imagine, all businesses closed for two months, imagine the losses they would sustain, it would be awesome! Of course you wouldn't be getting a paycheck during those two months, etc....so life might grind to a halt? Now if that doesn't work for you here is another idea, one I'm sure you will like even more, take all the money from the RICH in the country, leave them a week's wages, you can pick the wage since you all know what is acceptable, right? Divide all the money that is collected evenly among all Americans. Now that's a plan! Within six months, the rich would move to another country where their business ideas, etc. are valued and the "99%" would have a new home, car, whatever else the divided money would buy them and then they would file bankruptcy because the RICH would be gone and they wouldn't have a paycheck, nor would the Liberal Govt have any money to give them, unless of course we borrowed more from China,..

Personally, I believe that politics shouldn't be a full time job or a career. It's not what the founding fathers had in mind. Be that as it may though, I want to know why I should vote for any of you since it's obvious you aren't an average American. There is no way you can understand the fact that all our good middle class jobs have gone to China and elsewhere. Your buddies did it to us! Why do you get to have a nice existence and most Americans are wondering where their next rent payment is going to come from? What makes you any smarter than me? From what I'm hearing, you're not! I truly don't think any of the choices I have to vote for are choices at all, just the rich man's candidates. If you can't come up with an honest response, then I am right and America is finished as a democracy. How are you going to fix our manufacturing job base and put things right? P.S. The correct response involves returning some of the safeguards you have repealed!

I believe that politics shouldn't be a full time job or a career. It's not what the founding fathers had in mind. Be that as it may though, I want to know why I should vote for any of you since it's obvious you aren't an average American. There is no way you can understand the fact that all our good middle class jobs have gone to China and elsewhere. Your buddies did it to us! Why do you get to have a nice existence and most Americans are wondering where their next rent payment is going to come from? What makes you any smarter than me? From what I'm hearing, you're not! I truly don't think any of the choices I have to vote for are choices at all, just the rich man's candidates. If you can't come up with an honest response, then I am right and America is finished as a democracy. How are you going to fix our manufacturing job base and put things right? P.S. The correct response involves returning some of the safeguards you have repealed!