Is Canada worth moving to?

So, I've heard many good things about Canada, and compared to the US, it seems a lot better. I kind of want to move there now (not now now, but when I finish college/school which would be in about 7-12 years) since the US is falling into a small recession. My question is, is it worth it?

And if it is, how hard is it to move there? I'm pretty much willing to do anything that's not illegal. Can you have both a US citizenship and a Canadian citizenship?

Oh, and is there a decent amount of Asians there? I'm Chinese and I'd kind of like it if there were someone of the same race as me... I actually don't mind because I fit in almost everywhere and I can't understand Chinese anyway, but, yeah...

Thank you in advance!

One last thing - what kind of jobs are preferred in Canada? I've read several places that you need to a skilled worker or something... not too sure about that.

Whoops, I meant *to BE a skilled worker.

My bad.

Favorite Answer

Yes it's worth it.

Canada's measurably the best place on earth.

That's because Canada's rated as being/having:

-The world's best advanced economy.

-The only G7 nation fully recovered from the global financial crisis & recession.

-The world's soundest banking system.

-The world leader in educational attainment.

-The world's most tolerant country.

-The world's friendliest nation.

-The world's most welcoming country.

-The world's top-brand country rating.

Unlike the US, Canada's a Triple A credit rating nations.

Canada's also rated as being:

-One of the world's 10 safest countries.

-One of the world's 10 most peaceful nations.

-One of the world's 10 happiest countries.

-One of the world's 10 least corrupt nations.

-One of the world's 10 freest countries.

-One of the world's triple-A credit rating nations.

And Canada rates better than the US in all those categories.

And in specific comparison to the US:

-Canada's Triple A credit rating was reaffirmed, not downgraded.

-Canada has the world's 2nd highest quality of life (Australia's currently #1.)

-Canadians pay fewer taxes per person than Americans.

-Canadians have more legal rights & freedoms than Americans.

-Canadians are healthier and live years longer.

-Canadians have higher median net worth per capita.

-Canadians have less income equality.

-Canadians have more-comprehensive social programs that benefit all, not just the poor.

On top of which is Canada's huge size (world's 2nd largest nation) and low population density (one the world's 10 lowest) meaning there's an insane amount of room to live, grow, discover and build a future in.

Now, down to business:

Yes, there's lots of Asians here:

Contemporary Canadian Ethno-cultural Diversity

These changing patterns in immigration have resulted in Canada becoming a highly diverse nation, in terms of both ethnicity and culture. While the largest ethnic groups were predominantly of European descent, and English or French in particular, the Canadian population has increasingly become constituted by other ethnicities, most notably Chinese and East Indian. It is important to note, however, that this diversity is not uniform across the country. The populations of Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia contain greater diversity than other provinces. Canada’s large metropolitan areas, in particular Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, tend to be more diverse than its rural areas."

Link - http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/multicultural...

If you look at the chart under that quote, you'll see that Chinese are in the top 10 of the Top 15 Ethnic Origins of Canadians (2006).

Just be aware that a lot of Chinese here are immigrants straight from China:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/rele...

Link - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-12/06/cont...

As for immigration, the easiest way for you to do it is this:

-Get your higher education in Canada.

Firstly, it'll be cheaper. Foreign students pay more than Canadian citizens do, but even then it's still cheaper than the cost of US colleges & universities.

Secondly, Citizenship & Immigration Canada has a special program for students called Canadian Experience Class:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.a...

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduat...

That's the best way for someone to gain Permanent Resident status leading to full citizenship.

And yes, you can have dual-citizenship.

Hope that helps and best wishes for your future success!

Canada and America are very similar. You sound just like me, I agree that in a few years America will be to over populated and greatly in debt. First of all you can't just move to Canada, it takes 3 years living on a legal visa before you can apply for citizenship. Once its time you fill out a form of residency, send it to the Office of Citizenship via Canada. If you are accepted to take a test, you can either chose to take it orally, or written. Once you've past, you will be scheduled to take the Oth of Citizenship a fulfill the duties as a Canadian.

Alot of the Asian population are located in British Columbia(much milder winters, but rainy too often) and Alberta. These two share qualities of being culturally diverse.

Alot of jobs have to do with Fishing, Service(ex. Parks Canada), Manufacturing, and Natural Resource

The climate in most provinces are brutal. Temperatures range below zero for about 3 months of the year, not to mention the heavy snow which worsens driving conditions so always carry a shovel in your trunk of the car. Good luck, and Bienvenue!

Source(s): Lives in America, moving to Manitoba!
  • Hank

As one who has homes in both I would indeed say that, AT PRESENT, Canada is better. And more prosperous.

Shawn Robin lists so many details for you (except inexplicably she writes that Canadians have less income equality when they have more. And the average family net wealth at present is about 35% higher than the average American family's).

As for your being Asian, well, have you not heard that the nickname for the large city in British Columbia is "Hongcouver"?? As in the USA most Chinese are concentrated in the cities.

Other than a liberal immigration policy for refugees and family members Canada indeed favors those that are skilled and educated and, in most cases, have a job lined up. But Canada also allows immigrants who are willing to invest a certain amount of money (something the US congress is now considering for the USA).

Canada is the 2nd most desired country for outsiders to desire to move to (Australia is 1st; the USA is now only 7th; something you would never hear a Washington politician or perhaps any American breast-beater to acknowledge). It is not easy for an American to be accepted for immigration. Good luck.

It is the best country in the world! Everyone is very friendly and are treated with equal respect. I am from Canada but spent the last 3 years working in the US. The differences are outstanding. It's hard to describe but the people in Canada are a lot more friendly. We look out for one another and take care of each other, even if we don't actually know them. I noticed in the US, if I talked to anyone who I didn't know they would look at me like I was an idiot and roll their eyes and walk away. In Canada, when walking down the sidewalk, people will say hi to you even if you don't know them. It is A LOT healthier in Canada too. Way more healthy options for food, more fitness clubs, less unhealthy foods, the environment is a lot more healthy with regards to trees and grass everywhere. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of great American people and beyond awesome places in the country but to grow up and live, Canada is by far the place to be. It's one of those things you just have to see to believe. :)

I couldn't tell you enough about how great of a place it is.

There is a large Asian population on the west coast, especially in Vancouver.

• No, its too cold.

HELL YES!!!!!