Doglover asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

History of the Puppy Mill?

I know what it is. But where, exactly, did the idea of a mass breeding production begin?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtsJk... <- my other question

Update:

And your point is?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

According to Canis Major V. publications, puppy mills originated in the post-World War II era. Midwestern farmers looking for an alternative crop reacted to a growing demand for puppies, resulting in the development of the first commercial puppy business. As the business grew, both small and large retail outlets began to sell puppies through pet departments. At around the same time, the first pet store chains were born.

Through indifference or ignorance, many puppies were left unsocialized or exposed in existing chicken coops or rabbit hutches. In addition, veterinary care for these puppies was often overlooked because of an inability to pay. As a result, organizations such as the Humane Society of the United States began to investigate breeding kennels, leading to the passage of the Animal Welfare Act of August 24, 1966

According to the Humane Society of the United States, thousands of puppy mills are located around the country.

A high concentration of both puppy mills and breeders has been reported to be in the states of Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. Lancaster County, PA, has the highest concentration of puppy mills of any county in the nation and has earned the dubious nickname of “Puppy Mill Capital of the East.”

Source(s): Over 40 yrs working with Rescue and Working Dogs
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • I live near Lancaster and puppy mills are a huge problem. It is the Amish that own the farms. To the Amish they do not think they are doing anything wrong. To them dogs are just working property. They do not take dogs and allow them to live inside. It is a totally different way of thinking. If you look at the majority of puppy mills across the US most are run by the amish. The Amish started most of the supply of dogs that fill our stores. I do not think when they were mass producing dogs they considered themselves puppy mills. That is a name that the SPCA came up with. To Amish it is no different than breeding pigs, goats and cows.

• 9 years ago

I used your question, just as it stands & searched using yahoo search & this is what came up.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=History%20of%20th...

Google would have brought up the same answers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.