G
G asked in SportsBoxing · 9 years ago

Is ESPN commentator Skip Bayless for real?

I honestly can't tell. He seems too stupid to be serious, especially with regard to boxing.

He's contractually supposed to be the idiot right? Like ESPN hired him to be the resident jackass?

Favorite Answer

That last sentence pretty much sums it up. His regurgitating of Bob Arum's line about Floyd being afraid of Manny's right hand made me laugh. Especially after he'd just fought Victor Ortiz, a southpaw with one of the most dangerous right hands in the sport.

Edit: I agree completely with Ronnie. How can we get someone on the debate desk?

• Ronnie

Skip Bayless knows jack-**** about boxing...Absolutely nothing. I'm almost embarrassed for him whenever I hear him give his take on a boxing match. He is clearly a novice when it comes to breaking down anything boxing. Espn would do better to not even let him comment on it. I know for a fact that myself and a lot of people from this very forum would school him in a boxing trivia session, and are definitely able break down a fight more accurately and realistically than Bayless can. By the way he talks, it really seems like he never even really cared to follow the sport at all from anything more than a casual fan's perspective.

He is someone people supposedly will watch so they can yell at the t.v.

He has always been a jerk, and not overly bright, but I don't think he is an idiot.

When he had a sports column in the local paper here, he was about the same he has tuned his presentation so he is more obnoxious now.

I am sure you are correct in that ESPN uses him as the foil.

I think Skip Bayless is one of the more entertaining sports analysts. Like Dick Vitale, he makes watching ESPN fun and entertaining. And he tells it like it is, which I can appreciate.

If being a douche bag is for real, then yes.