What are some good CHEAP ways to keep a car engine/battery warm on Winter nights?

I have a 2000 Saturn SL2 and apparently from yesterday evening to this morning the temperature dropped A LOT. It went from 40 degrees down to -3 degrees. I didn't know this because I didn't step outside again when I got home yesterday at 5pm and didn't get to watch the weather (fell asleep early). Well... show more I have a 2000 Saturn SL2 and apparently from yesterday evening to this morning the temperature dropped A LOT. It went from 40 degrees down to -3 degrees. I didn't know this because I didn't step outside again when I got home yesterday at 5pm and didn't get to watch the weather (fell asleep early). Well my car had a bit of a rough start this morning. At first it acted like it didn't want to start up so, I waited a minute or 2 before trying again and I gave it some gas and it started up, but it was a little bit louder than it normally is. That sound went away after warming the car up for 10 mins.

Anyways, what are some ways I can help keep the engine somewhat warm during winter nights? I am on a fixed income and I know most of you will say to use a block heater, but $45 or not, right now I can't afford that until I am paid again. I've heard of using blankets and even going out in 3-4 hour increments and starting the car up and letting it run for a few minutes. And with the blanket thing, do you place it on your actual engine or just on the hood of the car when the car is first shut off? Never did it. Any ideas?

BTW, I had my oil changed less than a week ago and they checked all the fluids and tested the battery and said it's still a good battery. (Just in case you're thinking the battery is bad or something). Thanks!!!