What wires would I jumper to close the circuit on this switch?

Specifically, this is a clutch switch. It has three wires going to three different terminalsversion and they are are all labeled. There is a closed wire, open wire and common. I believe i should need to close this circuit to test the clutch switch to see if its bad before replacement. Which wire should be jumpered to which? I assumed to find two wires when i started this and Im not sure whether to connect common to open, common to closed or open to closed. My guess is common to closed, but i though t I would ask first.

Thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on what you are trying to do. Your labels are missing the word "normally" which is a more common way to name them. A switch with a common, normally open (NO) and normally closed (NC), means the switch connects the common to the NC when the switch is not pressed (the "normal" position). When you press the switch the common gets connected to the NO (and disconnected from the NC). If the switch is bad, most anything could go wrong (connects NO to common all the time, connects NC to common all the time, completely open circuit, etc). A reliable way to test a switch is to disconnect at least the NC and NO wires and test the switch with an ohmmeter. With a simple on/off switch with 2 wires, a jumper between the wires will "turn on," but in your case, it is a little more complicated. If you trying to simulate pressing the switch, you would need to jumper NO (open) to common, but also REMOVE the connection to NC (closed).

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

When the switch is in the OFF position or if the switch is spring loaded and not actuated, the the connections are made between the C and NC terminals. When the switch is in the ON position or if the spring loaded switch is actuated, then the connections are made between the C and NO terminals.

NO = normally open unless actuated or turned on

NC = normally closed unless actuated or turned on

C = Common. This terminal is common to both NO & NC terminals.

So, for your question, disconnect the NC wire and jumper the C & NO terminals together.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

First: The three-way switches you bought are useless for this installation. Take them back and get a simple on/off light switch (single pole, single throw). The two switches you have in the box are single pole, single throw switches. They turn things on, they turn things off. One of the wires is the power source for the switches. The jumper connects that power to the other switch. Each switch turns power on and off to their respective loads - the radio being one of them. The other switch turns power on and off to the kitchen light as you've stated. The third wire is probably a feed to an electrical socket downstream of the switches. As the previous responder stated, it would help with a better description and a photo. From your posting, this is what appears to be the wiring that you have: Switch 1 wires: Power in (constant power on) Jumper to Switch 2 (constant power on) Load (switched on and off) Switch 2 wires: Jumper from switch 1 (constant power on) Power feed to an electrical socket (constant power on) Load (switched on and off) You may also have white wires in the box. They should be connected together. You may also have bare wires in the box. They should be connected together. Do not connect the white wires to the bare wires. They must be kept separate. They are connected together in the circuit breaker panel, no place else.

• 8 years ago

jump from closed to closed

and common to common

Source(s): maint man
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.