?

Atheists: What books/movies have you read that contributed to your disbelief of God?

I was just reading a thread about movies called "Religulous" and "Selling God"

winter break is coming soon, I might as well watch some of these movies or read some books (although I already have a lot on my plate for reading)

To be honest, I've read more christian apologetics books than pro-atheist books, when I was christian I argued against atheists, and now that I'm atheist I know all the arguments incoming lol

I had a friend who rejected his Christianity and his belief in God after watching the movie "The Last Samurai" starring Tom Cruise.

^LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Favorite Answer

My disbelief in gods is a direct result of a lack of evidence any gods exist - but here's a list for you:

2000 Years of Disbelief by James Haught

Against All Gods by A.C. Grayling

Atheist Universe by David Mills

Attack Upon Christendom by Soren Kierkegaard

Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett

Fighting Words by Hector Avalos

* God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger

Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker

Natural Atheism by David Eller

Nothing by Nica Lalli

On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche

On the Nature of Things by Lucretius

* The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

The Essence of Christianity by Ludwig Feuerbach

* The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by James George Frazer

The Jesus Puzzle by Earl Doherty

The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman

Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell

Why I Rejected Christianity by John Loftus

• Mia

I can't say that any particular book really contributed to my disbelief. The theistic claims themselves once I examined them objectively just didn't withstand scrutiny. I haven't had any clear revelations from a god and I'm not able to see the logic of belief in far fetched things on faith or that this would really be a virtue. I read "The God Delusion" long after I was already an atheist and I think its a good brief examination of the rejection of theistic claims and why. I really like "The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. Its not really about atheism but rather examing all claims objectively on the evidence. I would also agree though that reading the Bible played a role in my questioning its claims and my journey to concluding I don't believe in the existence of a god or gods.

HAHAHA...love the Last Samurai comment!!!

Religulous is good, of course. And, like I said before, the Selling God I saw during a class regarding the consumption of religion. There are some flaws in both, but are still overwhelmingly useful. This is a comical one too.

Another decent one is "Lord, Save us from your Followers". He talks to religious people througout the movie and tries to understand the divisive nature of religion.

Another one that I saw not too long ago was "The God Who Wasn't There" directed by Brian Fleming. He is an ex-christian fundamentalist. This one is really god in my opinion. He has Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris in the documentary, but they don't have an overwhelming presence.

Other than the bible, I didn't need any books/movies to actually contribute to my atheism, but these 4 movies seemed to help friends of mine with a few of the questions they were dealing with....or a few of the things they couldn't reconcile with their faith. They make a lot of sense when viewed with an open mind. Yep, the bible was the only book that contributed to my disbelief. I too was a christian fundamentalist for 26 years before I took my blinders off and read the bible with an open mind.

• Mike B

The discovery that Santa was not real when I was six. Reading the bible and thinking how much it seemed to have in common with various science books and films I had read when I was 12, and further reinforced by my studying of sciences, specifically Physics, Chemistry and Astronomy.

In recent years the reading of books, not just Dawkins (he often tries to be controversial and in doing so he does come across as smug), try Simon Singh's the Big Bang, it explains a lot of the science in easy to understand terms and gives the history of what we know from stone age times, through Galileo to the present day and gives a lot of time to showing how the evidence for the Big Bang over took all the other ideas to come to the forefront by having a lot of evidence to back it up.

Personally I would not bother watching films, there is always some fictionalisation to make them popular, a good solid book written by an accredited author with up to date knowledge will always be better.

• Adrian

It was only the company of believers that made me an atheist. No book or other media was involved. If you've ever spent any time in the company of the crazies who claim to believe in the unbelievable, you'd know what I mean.

Since I don't necessarily read or watch that which promotes my realistic position on this matter (it's like preaching to the choir), I don't have any suggestions for you. Take a look at works by Richard Dawkins. He's a bloody genius.

What first set me on the road to Atheism was not a book but the song Imagine by John Lennon also really reading the Bible lead me to ask questions that no one had answers to . Simple questions like where did all the water go after Noahs flood the. Why did Jacob lie to his father Issacc in order to get the family blessing . ect...

• ?

The Principia Discordia

I know... it doesn't make any sense to me either...

Did it on my own but read some things by Twain (of all people) afterwards that sounded like what I came up with by myself. Also, Joe Heller's "Catch-22." Not all about god and religion but the best novel ever.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, if you haven't already.

He's just released another, unsure of title sorry.