RHH : Wu-Tang solo album recommendations?

I've most of their group efforts, (Enter the Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang Forever, Iron Flag, The W, 8 Diagrams and Legendary Weapons), but I've been told by a few friends that the best part of the Wu-Tang isnt their group work, it's the huge amount of solo work they have as well. Since I don't really have a favorite member yet (Method Man is close though) I figured I'd check out one solo album from each member...

I've already heard Method Man's 'Tical', but which album should I check out first for....

RZA -

GZA -

Ol' Dirty Bastard -

Inspectah Deck (Like him almost as much as Meth) -

Raekwon -

U-God -

Masta Killa -

Ghostface Killah -

BQ: Who's your favorite Wu-Tang member?

BQ2: Out of all of their solo albums, which one would you say is the best?

Update:

@Goldfish, I have to listen to at least one album from every member before I can choose a favorite! =O

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

RZA's best album is Bobby Digital In Stereo. but RZA's solo work is completely different from anything he's ever done with Wu-Tang Clan and their members individually. they have a lot more Wu Affiliate features, mostly members of the Black Knights or Killarmy. he likes working with Beretta 9 and his brother 9th Prince. but theres a wide variety of the Wu-Tang affiliates on there. it's an acquired taste, but he definitely grows on you.

GZA's best album is Liquid Swords by far. in my opinion, it's the best you'll hear from RZA's production. it's my favorite hip hop album ever. after that, if you liked Liquid Swords, you should check out his album Grandmasters with DJ Muggs. very dark production similar to RZA's on Liquid Swords (not the same, and not as good, but similar). if you want to check out something more traditional sounding, definitely check out Beneath The Surface.

Ol Dirty Bastard has 2 albums and one posthumous album. the only album worth really noting is Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version. even though i think it was the worst Wu-Tang solo album between 1993 and 1997, it's still worth a listen (and if you listen to Wu-Tang religiously like i do, it's a must listen). Ol Dirty Bastard comes through with some pretty decent tracks, but he just gets outshined so easily by the guest appearances on this album. it was also the first appearance for many Wu-Tang affiliates. definitely peep that. and his posthumous album, A Son Unique, was actually an album he recorded that was supposed to be distributed through Roc-A-Fella. so it has some beats from RZA with guest appearances from Ghostface, Raekwon and Method Man. but it also has production from DJ Premier, Mark Ronson and The Neptunes with guest appearances from Pharrell, Missy Elliot, M.O.P., Young Chris, Macy Gray, N.O.R.E., Saigon and Joe Budden. that one is definitely worth a listen.

Inspectah Deck is the more inconsistent one. many people say The Movement is his best album, but i would disagree. Inspectah Deck had the best production on his debut album Uncontrolled Substance and his third album A Resident Patient. both dont feature very many Wu appearances, but several Wu Affiliates, and hearing Inspectah Deck over RZA production as a solo artist is extremely rare, so thats always a let down. but i would say besides that, both of those albums had very decent production and are very listenable. but definitely go with Uncontrolled Substance first.

Raekwon's best 2 albums are Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2. they definitely have the same type of theme. RZA handled pretty much all of the production on the first one, but the second offers more of a variety of producers such as RZA (of course), Pete Rock, J-Dilla, Marley Marl, Dr. Dre, Mathematics, True Master, MoSS, The Alchemist and Erick Sermon. both are heavily featured with Wu-Tang members (specifically, Ghostface Killah) but the second one also features The Lox, Busta Rhymes and Beanie Sigel. if you're feeling more bold or want to escape from the traditional Wu-Tang sound, Immobilarity is more of a heavy NY boom bap style album. the only guest appearances are Masta Killa and Method Man and it features a beat from Pete Rock (but nothing from RZA). if you have to skip any Wu-Tang solo album, and i mean ANY Wu-Tang Solo album, do not listen to The Lex Diamond Story. you'll be a better person for it.

U-God 3 albums. only 2 worth listening to. The Golden Arms Redemption and Dopium. The Golden Arms Redemption is a great album but has limited RZA production. great guest appearances that balance out members and affiliates. but Dopium is my favorite U-God album. although it has no RZA production, the beats feel very modern Wu-Tang. a good array of Wu-Tang appearances but it also features Jim Jones, Sheek Louch, Slaine and a beat from Large Professor. it's a very dope album.

Masta Killa has 2 albums. both are worth listening to. but his best album is No Said Date. it has a very strong Wu-Tang feel to it with guest appearances from every Wu-Tang member (as well as Streetlife, Killah Priest and Prodigal Sunn). great production, great lyrics. another one of the best Wu-Tang albums released after 2000. although his second album, Made In Brooklyn, has more high profile producers like Pete Rock and MF DOOM. that one is worth checking out too.

Ghostface Killah has one of the best discographies in Wu-Tang Clan (and also by far the largest). i want to say listen to all of them, but if i had to pick one, definitely go with Supreme Clientele. that album has incredible beats, and it's also Ghostface at his full maturity as an artist. you dont hear him rap like this on Ironman (although, Ironman is a great album as well). Supreme Clientele is one of the best Wu-Tang solo albums ever.

Source(s): Wu-Tang Stan
  • 9 years ago

RZA - Bobby Digital in Stereo, Birth of a Prince

GZA - Liquid Swords, Beneath the Surface, Legend of the Liquid Sword

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, ***** Please

Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance, The Movement, Mafiesto

Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx 1 & 2, Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang

U-God - Golden Arms Redemption, Dopium

Masta Killa - No Said Date, Made In Brooklyn

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele, Ironman, Fishcale, Apollo Kids

BQ: Method Man

BQ: Liquid Swords or Supreme Clientele

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, first listen to, Liquid Swords

Then OB4CL

Then Tical or Supreme Clientele, after those, you should probably have a favorite, then look deeper into there stuff, but also check out Ironman, OB4CLII, Uncontrolled Substance, The Dirty Version etc.

BQ: Ghost

BQ2: Liquid Swords

GZA- Liquid Swords

RZA- Bobby Digital In Stereo

Deck- Uncontrolled Substance

Ghost- Supreme Clientele

Meth- Tical

Rae- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

U-God- Golden Arms Redemption

MK- No Said Date

OBD- Return To The 36 Chambers (The Dirty Version)

• Banjo
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

RZA - Bobby Digital

GZA - Liguid Swords

ODB - Return to 36 Chambers

Deck - Uncontrolled Substance

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

U-God - Uh... Dopium maybe? his discog isn't great

Masta Killa - No Said Date

Ghostface Killah - Probably Supreme Clientele. I personally like Ironman more, but Supreme Clientele is the one usually considered his best.

BQ: Ghostface

BQ2:

1. Only Built for Cuban Linx

2. Ironman

3. Supreme Clientele

4. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx pt 2\

5. Fishscale

*Note* Many (probably most) consider Liquid Swords by GZA to be the best Wu solo album. I personally am not a huge fan of the album, but that is atypical.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

These are my favorite ones in order...

GZA - Liquid Swords

Raekwon - OB4CL

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Raekwon - OB4CL Pt. II

Ghostface Killah - FishScale

Killah Priest - Heavy Mental*

Method Man & Redman - Blackout!

Hell Razah & BSBD - Razah's Ladder*

Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

* = affiliates

BQ: Probably GZA

BQ2: Liquid Swords or OB4CL

• 9 years ago

GZA - Liquid Swords

ODB - Return of the 36 Chambers

Raekwon - OB4CL/OB4CL2

Ghostface - Ironman, Supreme Clientele, and Fishscale

BQ: Probably RZA because of his production. GZA for rapping.

BQ2: OB4CL

• 9 years ago

GZA - Liquid Swords, Raekwon - OB4CL, GFK - Supreme clientele

Those are the 3 best Wu Tang solo albums

BQ GZA

BQ2 Liquid Swords

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.