no asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 9 years ago

Which name is better?

They have odd spellings, so if you hate that, get off this question.

Mari (Mary) or Alys (Alice)? Which do you prefer more?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

Personally, I don't hate strangely spelled names. I have a normal name. It's not ever misspelled or mispronounced. However, everyone that meets them will get their name wrong in some way. A girl named Mari or Alys will always be getting mail and birthday cards with the names Mary and Alice on them. When teachers call the roll, they will not know if it is Mary, Marie, or Maury. Alys would be called Alisse. Think carefully about your decision to name the child something you think seems cool. Think about what the kid will have to go through forever.

By the way. you can't prefer something "more". Prefer implies more.

On the other hand, I would like to compliment you on not putting "get off of".

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Mari

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Mari

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Mari. Alys just looks ridiculous. People need to realize odd spellings aren't cute.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I would go with Mari. I think Alys is just going to piss you off all the time when people say her name wrong.

• 9 years ago

Alys, definitely because Mari looks like something you'd find on a menu. "Yes waiter, I'd like to try the Mari please." Waiter: "Oh, the Mari is delicious."

Also, Alys kind of resounds Alessandra with a Alysandra-like spelling, and I've always seen the name Alessandra as a rather nice name.

• 9 years ago

Mari. I do hate odd spellings, but Mari is actually pretty nice! (:

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I like the name Alys :] but I would spell it as "Alice" instead.

• 9 years ago

Alys.

• 9 years ago

Mari &&' Alice (:

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.