Why do people buy Windows and Mac when there is Linux?

There are more than one "flavor" of Linux, the most popular and easy to use I think is Ubuntu, which is free to download and try out even before installing it, it runs "live" from the disc so there's no sacrifice to try it. There's also Mint linux and Suse, and PClinuxOS, Fedora. These... show more There are more than one "flavor" of Linux, the most popular and easy to use I think is Ubuntu, which is free to download and try out even before installing it, it runs "live" from the disc so there's no sacrifice to try it. There's also Mint linux and Suse, and PClinuxOS, Fedora. These are all free, and they all provide a different user experience, there are more too like Gentoo and Slackware but they're not as user-friendly for a novice.

still, all free. You could save up the hundreds of dollars spent on windows/mac licenses and still do everything on your machine you need to with Linux right?

You can still create MS word compatible documents and spreadsheets
you can still use firefox/watch youtube/browse internet/tweet
you can still watch DVD movies
you can still edit video and audio and create music in Linux
and with WINE You can play some PC games, but a console would be more practical for that anyways I think.

What is the practical use for running Windows or Mac these days? Why spend (or waste in my understanding) the money?
Update: For the first two answers I have received ...

Piracy is illegal

and that is a misconception that Linux is incompatible. It really is highly compatible.
don't just blow Linux off based off hear-say rumors you've read or been told. Linux is just as powerful if not more so than Windows and Mac