Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Good books for a 19 year old?

I'm having a really hard time finding some good books to read. My taste preferences are all over the place and like all genres except sci-fi/fantasy stuff. Don't say Twilight please! I already read the books but that's not my thing. I've also read most of Sarah Dessens books and they are ok, but I feel like they're just the same story over and over again with different character names. I really love a lot of drama and books that make me feel like I'm in the actual story. I'm sick of all the YA novels that are for for kids in middle school and high school and I don't like the books that are the contemporary romances for horny women. Here is a list of what I have read in my years and what I have really loved:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie Mcguire

The Pawn series by Steven James

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Charlie St. Cloud

I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell

I've read farenheit 451 as well as 1984. They were pretty interesting but not my favorites.

I also have all the classics on my Kindle and I have read most of them!

Favorite Answer

The Terminal Experiment by Robert J. Sawyer

Scientists discover proof for the existence of the human soul.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first “immortal” human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they’d weigh more than 50 million metric tons—as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb’s effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.

You should get into dystopian fiction, a couple of classics are 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. I believe that the Hunger Games also fall into that category, and they're quite popular (which is why I haven't read them yet - call me a literary hipster).

• Robbie

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk - Off the top of my head, you'd probably enjoy Damned or Invisible Monsters the most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned_(novel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Monsters

Also either of Craig Clevenger's novels are incredible. I really can't stress this enough: The Contortionists Handbook is one of the greatest novels I've ever read; finished it in a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Contortionist's_H...

Get classical books. Get Jane Austen books if you are really literate. I absolutely love her books. They always make you feel happy after you're done them.

Robert Louis Stevenson - Treasure Island

Edgar Allen Poe books, if you want horror and work on your vocabulary.

I like classical. This is my own taste. If you want to try these out go for it.

• david

The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

I'm about the same age as you, and my absolute favourites are Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (the first 30 pages are REALLY confusing, but the payoff is massive) and Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. Aussie YA fiction has a good reputation :)

Snowfire - Phyllis Whitney