Should I get Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess [wii]?

Skyward Sword is out, and I love the Zelda series, and I recently saw the remote+game bundle at my local store. I love the controller.

But my friends tell me that TP is much better, but harder to beat, and well, no pretty gold controller; but badass graphics.

I have an okay budget, which I've been saving up.

Should I get both? Or which one should I get?

Favorite Answer

Having Finished Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I would personally go with Twilight if I was choosing between them. Although this really depends on what your looking for.

Twilight Princess felt a lot less linear but more difficult than Skyward Sword, however Skyward Sword utilizes the Wii Remote more, however, my gold controller sometimes would act up when it mattered, but usually its accurate when your only performing one motion at a time. I only recall seeing the game over screen 2-3 times in Skyward Sword, whereas I saw it at least 10+ in Twilight. The ability to return to the hub town from next to anywhere in Skyward makes it easy to keep yourself alive and stock up on potions.

I found the story in Skyward Sword a bit duller towards the end, although up to the middle its pretty good, but you won't be too surprised by how it progresses outside of one or two things that come out of left field. Skyward has fewer active characters in the roster, thus those characters tend to stand out a bit more than the ones in Twilight Princess. However, I definitely felt that Twilight Princess had a more well rounded story. I definitely felt that the final confrontation and villain in Twilight >> Skyward Sword.

Both Twilight and Skyward have very good sidequests you can sink hours into, although Skyward's are far easier to pick up on and there's hints everywhere on how to solve them, so you'll never stray too far from the main story usually. Twilight Princess' sidequests are harder to pick up on at times, but you'll probably be a bit more engrossed in them.

Twilight is definitely the longer game in my opinion, but that's mostly because it's easier to get stuck on a puzzle, the games probably have about equivalent amounts of content. I feel like I knew the Characters better in Skyward Sword, but the World and its Culture better in Twilight Princess, sorry I'm being a bit cryptic and disorganized about this.

Basically a Summary:

1. Skyward Sword is a fast, very connected, but linear to a point that it makes it a bit easy to figure out the puzzles at times. It's a whirlwind ride from start to finish, albeit that whirlwind calms down a bit towards the end. You will almost never feel confused about where to go or what to do next, your companion gives you good advice step by step and clues are scattered all over. It is definitely more beginner friendly and more about just having fun on the adventure than Twilight, and less about straining your nerves about how to solve the current puzzle. Overall it feels like a great game, but I was left wanting more dungeons and story to round off the experience. It ended up feeling a tad incomplete to me, though this is mostly because of what feels to me like a rushed conclusion.

2. Twilight Princess feels more like a traditional Zelda game, you're left to your own devices a bit more frequently, you will likely get stuck every once in a while. The Bosses and Enemies will likely feel more intimidating, the whole story comes together in a great way at the end, but you really won't know most of the cast too well. The twists in Twilight Princess come as a surprise, and you'll appreciate the ability to advance the story more than Skyward Sword, since it is at times harder to earn that cutscene. Each dungeon feels more like its an actual place that came about for a reason within the world, whereas the dungeons in Skyward Sword feel more like the entire world was built around the premise of challenging link.

Ulitmately, if your looking for a good time from beginning to end, relatively little difficulty, more immersive (if at some times a bit clunky) controls, but your not too interested in the story or overall feel, I would go with Skyward Sword.

If you want something non-linear, difficult, compelling storywise, more practical controls, and well rounded overall, then you should go with Twilight Princess.

I'm sorry, I seem to have made a rather long explanation, but note that this is all my opinion. Neither are really better or worse than the other objectively, each have there strengths and weaknesses.

I favor Twilight personally, but Skyward is an excellent game.

I LOVE Twilight Princess. Amazing graphics, amazing musical score, amazing gameplay -- everything.

Skyward Sword has all of that and more. It is by far the best Zelda game I've played as of now, and I've only just finished the second dungeon. The storyline is touching, and the characters are charming. I've never felt so concerned about the characters as in Skyward Sword. Zelda has been sent to the world below and I'm supposed to find her, and I seriously feel like I care for her and really want to fly her back home where she belongs. (Note that Zelda is not a damsel-in-distress in this game; she's on her own journey while you're on yours. :D)

The graphics are better than Twilight Princess's. Graphics are really just a pixel count, and since TP was developed for the GameCube and not the Wii (which supports better graphics), SS in every way has better graphics because it has more pixels.

Graphical style, on the other hand, is all up to opinion. But would you rather play a game that looks nice but is good all-around, or a game that has iffy looks but is AMAZING to play? ;D

If you can, get both. But if not, Skyward Sword should be your definite choice. :)

Hope that helped. ^_^

Skyward Sword is known as the best Zelda game of all time. Even though TP has better graphics, you will enjoy Skyward Sword a lot more. Personally, I did not find Twilight Princess that fun, but the new one is great!

Hmmm its hard to say i got twilight princess and it is awesome and hard im still stuck on it a month later XD but the new skyward sword looks soo good also. perhaps you could just buy the games and you might have enough XD

• John G

Get both. TP was great, SS is better. But TP was just put out in Nintendo's "player's choice" brand for $20, so you can get both for $70+tax or $90+tax if you get the SS bundle.

thats a tough one :( twilight princess is absolutely amazing<3 but skyward sword is so good but i havent finished it yet. if you're able to, get both :) its so worth it.

Heres a better idea: buy a real console. (xbox ps3 or pc) The wii even plays at 420p, which is pathetic.