Why does Wikipedia have to beg so hard for money?

I read somewhere that they have about half the money they need in donations. They've been begging really hard for a while now. I'm wondering why people are not donating enough? What do they have against Wikipedia? Why don't enough people want to donate to Wikipedia?

Favorite Answer

I don't have anything against them. But why should I donate? If Wikipedia shuts down, most likely another website with the same concept will come up in it's place, or we can use other information-based websites.

Bottom line: Most people don't care to pay to keep up a website that contains information available elsewhere.

Wikipedea is a free encyclopedia a place to feed the mind with knowledge from here and there, with almost every topics in it.

The fact that everyone can edit it doesn't imply that it's a source of misleading information because as there are bad citizens(with misleading info), there are also good citizens( with the right info) who either correct the information or report about it.

Wikipedia is giant with depth of information and content and this is not gained overnight but through years of commitment. If Wikipedia is for sell it would make billions of dollars but the founder is a dreamer and his dream is to make Wiki a public non-profit place.

Wikipedia deserve the donation if you have 5 or 10 or may be 20 or more dollars, please go and contribute.

I agree with the other answers: almost every teacher I've had said that Wikipedia is not a trusted source of information, and anyone caught using Wikipedia as a source was set to fail. I've seen many pages with false and misleading information. My question: Why would you want to pay to support a website that doesn't have any real substance and can be altered by anyone?

Since Wikipedia is not tangible (As well as many things on the internet) people feel that do not need to pay for it. They should be grateful that they don't spam the whole website with ads.

Cause it's not a legit source of information since anyone can edit it