Cajun cooking? Ever use the bottled roux?

I had a friend to tell me that the bottled roux for gumbo is just as good as homemade and much easier. Today I bought Kary's Roux made in Via Platte, LA. I am anxious to try it but want to know if any of you have any experience with it and how it came out for you. I have about 1/2 a chicken in the freezer from one that I boiled for soup last week and intend to use it with canned chicken broth. Any suggestions to make it seem like I slaved all day?

Favorite Answer

Being from Louisiana and everything, my family always cooks gumbo and jambalaya and all of that good stuff. My dad uses the bottles roux and it tastes just fine. However, my suggestion is watch the amount you put into it. Sometimes people put too much and it tastes very roux-y, and almost like a stew. Just taste it and add as needed. Good Luck!