Can a black student hang the Confederate flag in his dorm room at college?

Is he racist and asking to be kicked out?

"Black college student hangs Confederate flag in dorm room, admits it’s “kind of weird”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/black-college...

Best Answer

Yes, he can, and no, he is not racist.

The Confederate flag is NOT about racism. The War of Northern Aggression (yes, I will call it that!) was about states's rights!

• REJJI

Yes, anyone can, but why would they? Even though the flag in itself is not about racism, the flag reminds everyone that the Confederates were people who believed in slavery and that blacks should not be a free people.

I'm all for it. As I said in another post it's Freedom of Expression. I'm a native Californian and I respect the Confederate flag.

However, I ask what would have happened if the student were white and he hung it.

Leaving the fact that they were slavery-loving racists, the confederates were also treasonous. They killed Americans and Confederate sympathizers assassinated the American president. No matter who has the confederate flag should think twice before hanging it up for public display.

A black student who hangs the Confederate flag is displaying one of two things:

1. His ignorance of history

OR

2. His contempt for his fellow students.

(or both).

For those who say the Confederacy was not about slavery: that's just wrong. Slavery and the northern move to limit the states' "rights" to have and promote slavery DID start the wave of

secession that resulted in a split country.

It Republican opposition to allowing slavery in new western states and the election of their candidate Abraham Lincoln, that started it all. The southern states (rightly) concluded that with abolitionists in control of the (majority) northern states, that it was just a matter of time before the majority moved to ban slavery entirely.

http://blackhistory.harpweek.com/3CivilWar/CivilWa...

The guy is obviously not informed about the flag's meaning. If I were a member of the administration or student council I would demand that he take racial sensitive training classes in African American Studies and History departments.

Anyone can hang a confederate flag, folks need to understand what liberty means

I know the majority of people would take offense to that, depending on where you go.

It represents what the Confederate states stood for, one of those things being slavery.

Its up to the school..most colleges are private and can make their own rules

• Sarah

Your article says he can put up his flag.

You can tattoo the word idiot on your forehead but get upset by the looks people give you.