Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

My cat has eaten rat poison?

Hi, I'm in desperate need of help. As i'm writing i'm shaking- I don't want my cat to die.

For about a week now, my cat hasn't been eating, or not wanting to eat. Just until today, I saw it behind the television- eating rat poison, the green kind. It was all over her whiskers. Could this have been why it wasn't eating lately?

I'd like to know any home remedies, as my parents refuse to take the poor thing to the vet. I'm sure they know it's going to die, yet they won't do anything about it.

Can you please help me? I'm crying :<!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

    Right now, if your parents won't take her to the vet, try to induce vomiting. Mix Hydrogen Peroxide and warm saltwater solution together 50:50 mixture. Get it into your cat ANY way, syringe, cup, and way you can get her to swallow it! This will cause her to vomit. DO IT NOW!! If she doesn't vomit, give her more. I know it sounds weird, but try jumping or jogging with her in your arms....anything to mix up stuff in her tummy and get her to vomit.

    Okay, causing her to vomit will get the poison out of her stomach, but it won't remove any that has already been absorbed into the body. The only person that can help with that is a vet. They would be the only ones with activated charcoal, which would help with poison that has just recently been absorbed. You can sometimes find activated charcoal capsules at some pet stores or feed stores. I would try finding some soon. Other than those things, you can't really do anything else at home.

    As for the rat poison that she may have been nibbling on for the past few days....that's not so good. If she has eaten some, it will hurt her, but it may not kill her. It takes 2 to 5 days (after eating it) for symptoms associated with rat poisoning to appear:

    Bruising

    Pale gums

    Blood in urine, vomit, feces

    Bleeding from gums, nose, rectum, eyes, ears

    Weakness, staggering gait, depression

    Blood accumulation in the chest (hemothorax), which may lead to shallow or labored breathing

    Blood accumulation in the abdomen (hemoabdomen), which may cause the abdomen to distend

    General information regarding rat poisoning: It's a common cause of acute bleeding in cats. These poisons exert their effect by blocking the synthesis of Vitamin K, which is required for normal blood clotting. Vitamin K deficiency results in spontaneous bleeding. There may be no observable signs of poisoning until the cat begins to pass blood in the stool or urine, bleeds from the nose, or develops hemorrhages beneath the gums and skin. The cat may be found dead from internal hemorrhage. The first generation coumadin anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone) required repeated exposure to produce lethal effects. However, newer second generation anticoagulants of the bromadiolone and brodifacoum groups, including D-Con, Mouse Prufe II, Harvoc and Talan require only a single exposure. In fact, a cat can become poisoned if it eats a rodent killed by one of these products. In addition, these poisons remain in the cat's system for a long time and can require medical treatment for up to one month.

    She REALLY needs to see a vet ASAP!! I can't stress to you enough the importance of taking her to the vet. If your parents are worried abt the money, ask them if you can work off the debt. See if you can find any family friends to take you and help with paying. If all else fails and you notice that your cat is getting really ill, have her euthanized! This is not a nice way to die and is painful.

    I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I'm sorry your parents won't take proper care of the cat, I find that very sad. I hope she's okay. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Let us know what happens!

    Source(s): Registered Veterinary Technician for the past 16yrs Specialty in felines
  • 8 years ago

    Do you have a carrier for your kitty? If so, you need to pop her in it, and RUN, don't walk to a neighbor or friend's house. Beg and plead for them to call the nearest emergency vet, and take you and kitty there. If you don't have a carrier, see if you can find a box. And if you can't find either, carry kitty bodily -- hang onto her as tightly as you can.

    Don't worry about cost -- I'm sure the vet and/or concerned friends will work with you. There is a site that will pay for emergency veterinary care if an animal is going to die within 24 hours without emergency intervention. I don't remember what it is, but a vet should know.

    You need to be on your way NOW -- not in 15 minutes. Please keep us posted as to what happens.

    Source(s): I've had special needs kitties before (have one now with chronic herpes), and keep current on current veterinary treatments.
  • 8 years ago

    Anytime a cat ingests rat poison it is reason for an immediate emergency vet visit. If your parents are refusing the cat medical treatment, report them to the police for cruelty to animals. Seriously, there are laws protecting pet from abuse or neglect. Just because they are your parents doesn't mean that they are exempt from the law. They are just acting stupid. If your mom got run over by a car, would you just leave her there to die?

  • 8 years ago

    Heres some info on rat poison, I hope this helps. Good luck!

    TREATING FOR CONTACT WITH TOXINS OR POISONS

    If you think your cat may have been poisoned, first try to identify the poison. Most products containing chemicals are labeled for identification. Read the label. If this does not give you a clue to the plant's possible toxicity, call the emergency room of your local hospital and ask for information from the Poison Control Center. Alternately, call the National Animal Poison Control Center at (800)548-2423 or (900)680-0000. This hotline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is a credit card charge for the consultation.

    The most important step in treatment is to eliminate the poison from your cat's stomach by making the cat vomit. In certain cases, induction of vomiting is contraindicated. For more information, see How to Induce Vomiting earlier in this chapter.

    HOW TO DELAY OR PREVENT ABSORPTION

    Activated charcoal is used to coat the bowel and delay or prevent absorption. In most cases it is difficult to administer activated charcoal to a cat without first placing a stomach tube. Mix one part activated charcoal to six parts cold water. Give four to eight teaspoons. Follow 30 minutes later with Milk of Magnesia, 1/2 teaspoon per five pounds body weight. Placing a stomach tube in a cat is not without risk. The best advice for a severely ill cat is to induce vomiting and then proceed directly to the nearest veterinary facility.

    In the less severely ill cat, coat the bowel with milk, egg whites or vegetable oil. The dose of vegetable oil is two teaspoons for the average-sized cat. It should be added to the feed, but not force-fed by mouth because this could lead to aspiration pneumonia.

    If your cat has a poisonous substance on the skin or coat, flush the area with copious amounts of water for five minutes. Wearing gloves, give the cat a complete bath in lukewarm, not cold, water, as described in the SKIN chapter. Even if not irritating the skin, the substance should be removed. Otherwise, the cat may lick it off and swallow it. Soak gasoline and oil stains with mineral or vegetable oil (do not use paint thinner or turpentine). Work in well. Then wash with a mild soap. Rub in cornstarch or flour.

    A cat beginning to show signs of nervous system involvement is in deep trouble. At this point, get your cat to a veterinarian as quickly as possible. Try to bring a sample of vomitus, or better yet the actual poison in the original container. Do not delay to administer first aid. If the cat is convulsing, unconscious or not breathing, see CPR.

    Prevention: Prevent roaming, especially in grain and livestock areas where rat poisons may have been placed. Store all poisons in original containers in a safe location out of reach of cats. When using snail bait poisons, use commercial holders designed to keep bait away from pets.

    The poisons discussed below are included because they are among the most frequently seen by veterinarians.

    Source(s): internet
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    1

    Source(s): Herpes Treatment http://enle.info/HerpesFreeForever/?43sy
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    all I can tell you is take him to his vet, get him looked at before you wake up one day and he's dead. :/ If they wont take him, do it yourself with a friend, because that's a living thing. They can get HUGE fine for neglecting an animal like that. They might not be people, but they are living creators too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.