Can a 16 year old work on a construction job?

I think it would be interesting to work construction as a first job, versus working at some lame, depressing McDonalds... Ive never really put much thought into working construction until going down to my great grandmas house in Middle-of-nowhere, Kansas, for thanksgiving, and talking to my cousin whos a year... show more I think it would be interesting to work construction as a first job, versus working at some lame, depressing McDonalds...

Ive never really put much thought into working construction until going down to my great grandmas house in Middle-of-nowhere, Kansas, for thanksgiving, and talking to my cousin whos a year younger than me. He told me he got a job doing construction for a couple weeks and made almost 3,000$, and hes only 15. Maybe its the fact that he lives in a rural area that they allow younger kids to work projects like that, because the poeple down there all know eachother pretty well.

But i wanna know if i could get a job like that at 16 years old. Another thing is, i live in the city, so construction is mainly done by professionals, so i dont know if there would be any opportunities for me.
Update: Im mixed with some mexican, not full blown though ;) im mexican enough.