I saw a full size (900 cc or so) motorcycle with handicap plates.?

What disability could a person have that he/she would be able to operate a 600+ pound motorcycle, but not be able to walk medium to long distances? I am not trying to be mean or funny, I am genuinely curious.

• Dimo J
    Best Answer

I have minor heart problem. They were going to do a quadruple bypass but only did a triple, part of the heart is dead. In your heart every beat pushes 70-75% of the blood out into your body -- mine does about 25%. If I go on a brisk walk I can go 100-200 feet, then stop for a minute to catch my breath. I no longer do brisk walks, I can still do a leisure mosey. I *could* get an handicap placard, but I don't need one.

I ride a motorcycle. Once I am on the saddle I have no disabilities. And I can park closer to the door than even the handicapped spaces.

I think it's a very sensible question. It does seem a bit weird that somebody who is able-bodied enough to push a motorcycle out of the garage (and a 900cc bike is freaking heavy) and ride it should be considered handicapped but serious disabilities are not always obvious. I know a guy who had his leg almost completely ripped off, he can ride a motorcycle (although I doubt he will ever want to again) but it's touch and go as to whether his leg will ever work properly and he struggles to walk far.

I broke both of my feet in 92, at the time I was able to walk no more than 100 feet but I could cruise around on a bicycle and my dirt bike. My bike broke down on a trail ride and I ended up crawling 3 miles. I totally understand the handicap situation.

I actually have a customer that has a prosthetic right leg that rides a Harley Ultra Classic, approx 850 pound bike. The brake system on the bike was custom built to run the ftront and rear brakes using the front brake hand lever. The man has one leg, he is handicapped and has disabled person plates on ALL his vehicles.

My cousin rides, he took a piece of schrapnel in his hip from an IED in Falluja, it hurts him to walk, but he can ride his bike wherever he want....with disabled person plates. He carries his cane clipped to his bike like the tv character "House".

I have seen handicapped people riding with Oxygen masks on, obviously due to lung or heart issues, although I never took notice their plates, I saw this while riding.

Use your brain and THINK....there are hundreds of things that can cause a disabilty.

Source(s): Master Tech and Engine Builder

When you use your legs on a motorcycle, it is only your feet(in a way). So they could have knee, or some other type of joint problem, and just simply not be able to walk far. But there feet work fine.

I fractured my lower leg in 13 places. Once I was rid of the cast, I was eager to get back on a bike. I hadn't even been able to drive my car, since it has a standard transmission. For many months it was very painful (and slow!) to walk, even with a cane. I got hostile looks on a regular basis when pulling into a handicapped parking space with my bike. But once I unstrapped my cane from my back, and hobbled away from the bike, no one questioned me. Curiosity resolved?

• Mark

I had a tumor removed from the bottom of my foot. I was able to ride long before I was able to walk more than 25 feet without assistance or hoping. Hardest part was taking the crutches with me.

Source(s): Been there.
  • Dan H

Disabilities come in many forms. You can get a disabled sticker for a heart condition, for walking conditions that wouldn't keep you from riding a bike or for many other types of non-obvious medical problems.

• Lynne

Cc stands for "cubic centimeters" and measures the amount of space the piston(s) displace in the engine's cylinder(s). Generally, more cc means more power, but there are other factors involved (compression ratio, engine speed in rpm, ignition timing, etc.), so it's not a hard and fast rule.

There are a couple of my brothers that only have one leg. They have handicapped plates on their motorcycles