Our Congress and Senate need to be overhauled. What is your stance on Term Limits?

· Senate and Congressional Reform Act of 2012

1. Term Limits.

8 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two 4-year Senate terms

B. 4 Two-year House terms

C. One 8-year Senate term and Two 4-Year House terms

D. One 8 year term for Supreme Court Justices

If term limits are requisite for the President, Vice-President, and State Governors, then they most certainly are equally imperative based on the same principles for ALL of our legislators and even the judicial high seats.

2. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Senator or Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. Senate or Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

4. Senators or Congressmen can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make these contracts with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

9. Make all lobbyists and special interest groups illegal. They have no basis or rights for their existence except the greed of the oligarchs they represent. This is the heart of our dysfunctional government system. This is "legal bribery" in America and the Supreme Court has sanctioned it.

10. All campaign contributions, corporate or private, cannot exceed $250 max. No candidate can use their OWN money to campaign with. This violates the constitutional principles of equal opportunities for ALL people in the nation. If candidates qualify for federal campaign monies, then that is what they can use. Otherwise, they hit the campaign trail like everyone else for the last 200 years.

Serving in the Senate or Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think term limits is just a dumb idea. The only time you hear about it is when the Republicans are out of power. Term limits, for them, is just an anti-incumbency measure. They figure it will hurt the Dems more than themselves. But when they get into power they just forget all about the issue. It wa a big issue in the congressional election of 1994. Several of the Repub 'freshman class' of that year promised ot voluntarily limit their terms to 3 terms in the House, but when the time came they'd completely forgotten all about it.

Being a legislator is definitely a skill. Some people seem to have the idea that just anyone could do that job. For instance, if you can run a national chain of pizza parlors, then being president would be easy. But I think we should hold onto people who do it well and get rid of those who don't. The idea of a part-time 'citizen' Congress just doesn't appeal to me. All it would do is hugely increase the importance and power of lobbyists.

The other things, most of them are insignificant. Congressmen make enough to pay for their own medical care, and most of them have retirement coming from civilian jobs. Paying FICA contributions wouldn't change their minds that much about SS. Most of them are rich enough to get their own health insurance. I agree with most of the items, but I don't think they'd make that much difference. A congressman or senator doesn't really understand how it is for someone who loses his job, burns through his Cobra, and can't get health insurance.

I do think we need some serious campaign finance reform. In my mind, just about all the corruption we're seeing these days has to do with corporate ownership of our government. And the Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court is almost designed to make this problem worse, not better. Both parties desperately need huge wads of cash to run campaigns, and they get this cash from the same sources, so you can't really expect their agendas to be all that much different. So instead of working on issues, they try to make it all about party.

It would probaby take a constitutional amendment to fix this, especially now. For instance, give every 'serious' candidate for president $25 million in federal money, and that's all he can spend. Whatever he doesn't spend goes back to the govt. It would cost us a few hundred million at best but save us TRILLIONS. (How you decide who's a 'serious' candidate, we could discuss that.) This would totally eliminate the influence of corporate money. But try to get either of the corporate-fueled major parties to go along with it. 8^P

• Login to reply the answers
  • Pat
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Okay, dear.

Tell us all why you think it's still 1910?

1. The Senate IS PART OF THE CONGRESS. Yes, dear. Read the Constitution.

2. The voters can limit the terms of any member of Congress on Election Day.

3. Contrary to public belief, members of Congress DO NOT get full pay for life upon retirement. They get 20% after 5 years of service, up to a maximum of 80% for 30 years. They NEVER get 100% pensions.

4. Members of Congress have the same pension and health insurance plans as all federal employees. Yep. The same as postal workers, national park rangers, and the janitor at your local federal building.

5. Members of Congress DO PARTICIPATE IN SOCIAL SECURITY.

6. If lobbying is illegal, then no American is permitted to contact their reps in Congress for any reason. Ever. Why would you want to violate the first amendment? And if lobbying had been illegal, we would not have our current drunk driving laws, civil rights act, or any protections for any consumers. We would nnot have OSHA, clean and safe food,l water and drugs, or workplace health and safety regs.

• Liz
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

1.Okay first we have term limits, its called the vote.

2.-4. Agreed. The only pension they should receive is Social security.

5. CPI only.

6. Congress should join medicare and all Americans should have the option of joining in.

7. Yes!

8. Sorry. Somethings are more complex and need case by case evaluation.

9.-10. Make all campaign contributions allowed only from resisted voters. I would allow an extra zero, $2,500. The rest I would argue. Its great in principal but in practice.....

• 8 years ago

They aren't necessary if voters would stop sending these losers back to Congress year after year. I see someone like Harry Reid who should have been retired get sent back to the Senate by Nevada voters. Voters must like to keep someone in office for 30 years or more so I think voters have the right to limit all their Congressmen, but choose to send them back every election. Amending the Constitution is not easy and the only office term limited in the president to 10 years max.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I am 100% behind term limits. We have a limit of 2 terms for the presidency (though I'd like to see a 6 year term; no consecutive terms, and the possibility of re-election at a later time. If a politician does not have to be concerned about reelection maybe he/she will vote conscience, make a morally and ethically good decision, and do what is best for the country and not necessarilly what would get him/her re-elected. All of the 10 points listed are credible.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

How about, you have to make a list with your promises you make during election with dates to be delivered. You get no leeway. The first one you don't make on time, you are gone without pension and can never apply again.

That would solve all problems. That is, how modern industry works efficiently. I would do the entire Government the same way, you get 2 warnings in your job, 3rd you are gone, teachers, council men, majors, down to the floor sweeper.

• 8 years ago

My preference would be two 3 year terms for Senate and Congress and one six year term for the president.

Items 2-10, as they say, from your mouth to God's ear!

• 8 years ago

I so agree with all you have proposed.. now how do we get the stupid politicians to understand it.

It is so corrupt in Washington,. that I don't know if anything short of a revolution can clean it up!

• 8 years ago

2 TERMS FOR SENATORS

6 TERMS FOR REPRESENTATIVES

• 8 years ago

Sounds good to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.