Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

What does the Confederate flag symbolize?

Please, don't give me a vague answer like "heritage" or "states' rights."

Best Answer

The reality is just the sight of it conjures both negative and/or positive emotional response...rarely intellectual ones, and often those who do try to intellectualize it are masking their own deep seated prejudices.

I personally have no ties to it, I understand all the issues surrounding it. The fact is the majority who are flying it, displaying it, wearing it, etc; are small minded morons.

• Near

State's Rights. The Southerners, at no time, had the intention to overthrow the Union. They simply withdrew from what was supposed to be a voluntary union when the Northerners used the south as a cash cow. Lincoln had no right to call for the invasion of the Confederacy.

For a young kid on his own it was just a symbol for the South...Proud of the South..Nothing more.... probably doesn't know it represents slavery to some(or so they would have you believe,..Trouble makers from the North)

If it's a shaved head person ,..He's the worst kind of Racist,..might be the same folks here on yahoo who use the flag in their avatar...That and the Fake Righteousness.

• Andy

The Confederate battle flag represents a bloody war. The Confederate national flag represents a former sovereign country.

It's like a big middle finger to Washington.

The truth is that.............the South wasn't just a bunch of ******* like most are today. They had a problem, were wronged by the Federal government and fvcking did something about it.

God Bless the Confederacy and the people who died fighting for what they believed instead of just getting off of a boat and being paid to take someone elses place.

States Rights.

@Near: Amen

The nice thing about symbols is that people can give them whatever meaning they want to.

The Confederate Flag means nothing to me. However, I believe in someone else's right to believe whatever they please. I think this is still America.

States' rights.

The Confederate flag is a representation of what the South stood for back during the time of the Civil War, and one of the main things they stood for was slavery.

I know up here in Minnesota many African Americans as well as white people take offense to it.

Power of the State.