Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Is there a link between lymphoma in cats and the use of spot-on flea treatments?

Trying to find out if other pet owners may have used a spot-on flea product like Advantage and later had their cat suffer with cancer/lymphoma. Especially curious if the cat may have licked the spot-on product during lifetime.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Cats have a higher incidence of lymphoma than dogs or humans. Genetic disposition is perhaps the strongest factor in developing lymphoma, although environmental exposure to carcinogens plays a role as well. While there is no breed or sex predilection for cats that develop the condition, older cats, in the nine to ten years old range, have a higher incidence of it. In the past, the age range was lower largely due to widespread feline leukemia which most often presented as mediastinal lymphoma, that is tumors originating in the chest cavity. While lymphoma was strongly associated with Feline Leukemia Virus, appearing co-morbidly in 70 percent of cases, only 20 percent of affected cats today also have Feline Leukemia. The feline immunodeficiency virus, FIV, increases a cat's chance of developing lymphoma by sixfold.

Environmental factors, such as exposure to carcinogens, may also play a role in the development of Leukemia, although there is scant evidence to support this. Some studies show exposure to cigarette smoke may double a cat's risk of developing lymphoma. A long standing theory linking feline lymphoma to inflammatory disease has yet to be proven or disproven.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Bio Spot would not artwork. Frontline is excellent yet benefit is a tad bit extra fee-effective and works basically besides. i take advantage of benefit on my 9 and that i haven't had fleas! A word of advice, purchase it on Ebay. lots of the providers on Ebay are from Australia yet do no longer permit that scare you. it relatively is made via Bayer in Australia so it relatively is extra fee-effective for Australians which nonetheless makes it extra fee-effective for us to purchase it from them. delivery is sensible (nonetheless extra fee-effective than paying for out of your vet or a puppy keep) and it will get right here in a pair of week.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.