Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

If you had a kid in High School, would you move to a state with great Public Universities so they could attend?

Let's say you live in South Dakota or Maine, and your kid's brilliant.

But sadly, there aren't that many excellent schools in your state.

Would you and the kid move to, say, North Carolina (home of the prestigious UNC-Chapel Hill) or California (UCLA and UC Berkeley are elite) so your kid could easily get admitted and they'd only pay in-state tuition?

Favorite Answer

It is interesting how those who do not appreciate the value of an excellent education disagree with you. One poster even threatened his children if they wanted to go to UC Berkeley, one of the top schools in the nation. I raised my children in the San Francisco Bay Area. One son loved flying, got his pilot's license at age 17 and then got his degree from San Jose State in aeronautical engineering and now pilots C747s, the same type of plane as Air Force One. Another son got his degree in computer science from Cal Poly and is currently working for a start-up in San Francisco and making well over $100K a year and in the middle of starting his own software venture. My daughter graduated c um laude from Yale University in biological sciences and is now finishing up her Ph.D. at UC Berkeley in political science specializing in international treaties concerning scientific cooperation between nations.

So it is sad to me that others are bitter about education and do not value it in their lives and the lives of their children. The facts are that education has always been the key to success of any type. Making sure that one's children have access to the top schools is far more important to their success than any other goal a parent might have. I realize there are exceptions, such as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, but they are so rare that you can count them on one hand.

The Ocean State is calling you...move to Rhode Island, I have two boy's ages 13 and 9 that the older one attends a brand newly build middle school, and Chariho High isn't far away. My wife and I live in a sort of rural area in White Rock they call in off the outskirts of Westerly I guess you could say...Anyway's the schools here are alway's in what they call " Lockdown" meaning there is a police officer there everyday, and the schools are tight, meaning these kid's don't get away with stuff like a big city violence delema etc. It is an expensive town to live in, but not if you happen to come across a deal on getting a place to own or rent. We rent and pay $850 for a 2nd floor 2 1/2 Bedroom nothing included, and it's the cheapest we've seen anywhere in the five years we've been looking. Most are between 1000-1300 for a 3 bedroom, and we just can't afford that...good luck

well you just managed to alienate the states of S. Dakota and Maine. Good going, keep it up.

What do you care Nancy? I'm sure any kid of yours would have a government loan. Spend like crazy.

To Newt's dying ex, they were already separated when she got the cancer diagnosis. Nice try though asshole.

If any of my kids, grandkids et al ever tell me they want to go to a shithole called Berkeley, I will throw them in the wood chipper post ahste

then be a debt slave his whole life by paying for a piece of paper that increases in cost every year but its value decreases, that's logical.....

Union teachers, Hell no. Did work for You.

No. If they work hard, they'll be fine.

Source(s): @you lose... I just laughed out loud!

yes. Why not?