Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is the meaning of tacky/cheesy/corny, respectively?

can someone use these words in sentences as example? Im having difficult time using these words in real life situations.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

tacky = something that's of bad taste, the opposite of fashionable

"Look at those tacky yellow curtains!"

cheesy = something that's trying too hard and ends up looking fake

Like "He has a cheesy smile on his face" means he has a fake plastered smile.

corny = old, overused and lame

• alisha
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Cheesy Definition

• 10 years ago

Tacky: a person or thing that lacks class or sophistication. "I think it's tacky to make chick salad with dark meat."

Cheesy - over-the-top, flashy, also having some aura of sleeze. "I can't belive you took me to see some cheezy lounge singer!"

Corny - Done-to-death. A joke where you know how it's going to end, but you still laugh.

"I spent all night with my grandpa, listening to his corny stories"

• CF
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Tacky Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0

tacky adj

(of a glutinous liquid such as paint) not completely dried and slightly sticky to the touch; "tacky varnish"

tastelessly showy; "a flash car"; "a flashy ring"; "garish colors"; "a gaudy costume"; "loud sport shirts"; "a meretricious yet stylish book"; "tawdry ornaments" [syn: brassy, cheap, flash, flashy, garish, gaudy, gimcrack, loud, meretricious, tatty, tawdry, trashy] [also: tackiest, tackier]

Tacky Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Tacky \Tack"y\, a. [Etymol. uncert.] Dowdy, shabby, or neglected in appearance; unkempt. [Local, U. S.]

Tacky Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Tacky \Tack"y\, n. [Written also tackey.] An ill-conditioned, ill-fed, or neglected horse; also, a person in a like condition. [Southern U. S.]

Tacky \Tack"y\, a. [Cf. Techy, Tack a spot.] Sticky; adhesive; raw; -- said of paint, varnish, etc., when not well dried. [U. S.]

Cheesy Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0

cheesy adj : of very poor quality [syn: bum, cheap, chintzy, crummy, punk, sleazy, tinny] [also: cheesiest, cheesier]

Cheesy Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Cheesy \Chees"y\, a. Having the nature, qualities, taste, form, consistency, or appearance of cheese.

Corny Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0

corny adj : dull and tiresome but with pretensions of significance or originality; "bromidic sermons" [syn: bromidic, platitudinal, platitudinous] [also: corniest, cornier]

Corny Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Corny \Corn"y\, a.

Producing corn or grain; furnished with grains of corn. [R.] ``The corny ear.'' --Prior.

Containing corn; tasting well of malt. [R.] A draught of moist and corny ale. --Chaucer.

Tipsy. [Vulgar, Eng.] --Forby.

Corny Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Corny \Cor"ny\ (k?r"n?), a. [L. cornu horn.] Strong, stiff, or hard, like a horn; resembling horn. Up stood the cornu reed. --Milton.

Sentences:

About an actress´ pictures:

"Ah…nope! She is creeping me out in those pics. It’s highly budgeted scary rather than trashy but still very tacky."

"rashy, tacky, ugly, etc etc "

"I like the second pic (where you can see her profile).. the photoshoot is tacky, cheap,trashy, but somewhat interesting ..kinda just like her

Cheesy:

"I need some really cheesy jokes to cheer up a friend. Whats your best cheesy joke?"

"Okay, SO I am in need of a very Cheesy Pick-up line for a sqeual I am planning on writing for the next part of my book:

Answers:

"Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?"

"I hope you know CPR, because you take my breath away"

"I should call the police because you're stealing my heart."

"Hi, I'm Mr. Right. Someone said you were looking for me."

"You must be Jamaican, because Jamaican me crazy."

Corny:

1.Trying to be cool, but ultimately very uncool indeed, and often even extremely embarrassing.

"Man, did you see that Manowar show? The way they posed? And all that "Knights of Steel" bullshit? Hell that was corny."

2. Corny

Something presented as fresh or original, but which is actually tired and/or lame. Especially, when its lameness derives from being obvious or done to death.

"Oh Grandpa! That joke is soooo corny. "

3. Corny

(adj) really stupid, or using ironic situations.

see cheesy

"That story is really corny."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.