Do you prefer popular or unique names for your children?

And what do you think of the most popular of 2011 list?

Top 10 girls' names of 2011

1. Sophia

2. Emma

3. Isabella

4. Olivia

5. Ava

6. Lily

7. Chloe

8. Madison

9. Emily

10. Abigail

Top 10 boys' names of 2011

1. Aiden

2. Jackson

3. Mason

4. Liam

5. Jacob

6. Jayden

7. Ethan

8. Noah

9. Lucas

10. Logan

Update:

I'm disappointed a bit... I've loved the name Adele for years and was hoping to use it for a future daughter- but with the popular singer Adele people would just assume I hopped on a celebrity name bandwagon...

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Unique

• 8 years ago

I don't categorize it by 'popular' or 'unpopular' I just like what I like. My favorite girl names are Chloe, Violet, Madelyn, Lillian, (Lily), Sophia, (Sophie), & Amelia. Coincidentally, Chloe, Lily, & Sophia are all on the most popular name list. Madelyn is number 76, Amelia is number 41 and Violet isn't even on the list. Emma is nice. Isabella is pretty. Olivia is OK. Ava is cute. Emily I love. Madison I really don't like. Abigail is nice.

As for boys names I like William, (Liam), Samuel (Sam), & Elijah (Eli). Aiden is super cute. Jackson I like, I like Jack better. Mason is OK, a lil trendy. Jacob is awesome. Jayden is a no/ Ethan is sturdy and handsome. Noah is OK. Lucas is nice. Logan is nice.

Best of luck!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I chose names that I liked, neither of my daughters names are on this list but i'm sure they are all somewhere in the top 100. My 1st daughter name (Courtney) was number 26 or so back in the 1990's and was very popular, she knows a few Courtney's but not many. I'm sure it's very common. My twins both have fairly popular names but they seem to be more popular now than they were as well in the 1990's when they were born (Hannah and Alexandria, we call her Alexx) Hannah has always been a fairly popular name but my husband picked it out because he thought it was sweet and simple. She is a sweet and simple girl. I picked Alexandria after I heard it in the store and decided to go with it. My last daughters name (Cali) is also probably more of a popular name in the 1990's-early 2000's. i don't hear it as often as I hear Carley and Kaylee(Kayley, whatever). We chose that name because my grandmother wanted to always use that name but spelt it Callie, and we shortened the name and used it in her honor.

I think if you like the name Adele, you should incorporate it somehow in the name if you have a girl. If people ask, just tell them the story behind the name. I've always just chose the name I liked and my husband agreed on.

• 3 years ago

searching on locale, uncommon names can with out be conscious change into user-friendly. Checking nationwide lists received't help; you'll fairly favor to analyze which include your interior sight board of wellbeing or some thing to make certain what's happening on your section. that still purely isn't a life-lengthy assure. you may flow and discover the uncommon call in Vermont is oh-so-user-friendly in California. Many moons in the past, I worked in a daycare middle. making waiting to hitch her toddler after transferring to NE Indiana, one woman spoke at length about the attempt she had made to substantiate that her toddler had an uncommon call. She bumped off the toddler from the kind at the same time as she discovered there have been 8 different Adams contained in the kind! uncommon is nice yet there are different concerns. a million) Will the call strengthen with the toddler? Gemini sounds attractive for a baby yet would not truly make it for a commonly used practitioner or different professional. i do not imagine i'd believe a CPA with that call. 2) Will the call reason spelling and/or pronunciation grief? Yiorgos is the Greek version of George. it really is an excellent call yet right here contained in the States, it may reason some issues. maximum people get used to uncommon names yet there are consistently some that by no skill get over it. 3) Are you picking the call because it really is uncommon or because you fairly like it? If it really is the first, it truly is quite pretentious and could spill over into your parenting. If it really is the latter, extra skill to you!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I like names that are beautiful or handsome and sound good, names that have meaning and history to them, I honestly dont care how popular or unique they are, especially since these days the "unique" names are the popular ones. My childrens names are not a fashion trend and I dont put how popular they are in mind when I am naming them, I use what sounds good. I would much rather name my child John then some of the stupid sounding "unique" names these days like Maverick or Bentley. I would rather name my daughter Emma then Rylyn. I love almost every name on that list, they are strong names with a history. My kids are named (first and middle) Jasper Felix, Robin Michael, Natalie Corinna, Marie Therese, and Adrian Myles, I chose them after people we love and names that we love, originality didnt come into the decision. I did get annoyed however when the name Jasper was used in that Twilight book, not because I think everyone is going to use the name now, I really dont care about that, but because now every time I say my sons name someone has to go all "omg twilight."

• 8 years ago

I think very ordinary names are best. I have three adult children two have ordinary names and they are both happy with them,the third has a foreign name not that unusual in his fathers country but I have never encountered the name in this country so in a way it is unique and he hates it. When he was little his friends found it hard to pronounce although it is really quite simple,so we shortened it but even then they called him an english name that came close. He would get frustrated because the shortened version was very easy indeed but still no one used his name. Now as a man he still gets called everything but his name and gets very annoyed about that because it really is not hard to say.

Unique names or made up names are a heavy burden for a child to carry and we must think of the child when naming them. Think of the nicknames they could get from the name from the initials ,parents have to look at it from all angles and choose something a child can live with.

• 8 years ago

I do not like popular names, I don't want my children having 4 friends with the same names as them. I like unique names but not ridiculous names.

I actually like a lot of the girls names that are popular, I think its a shame that Emma and Isabella are so popular these days because I actually really love those 2 names.

I don't like any of the boys names that are popular. I use to like Aiden and Jayden but OMG! they are WAY too popular its sickening. Everybody I know whose had a boy recently has named their son Aiden, Jayden, Kayden..etc

• 8 years ago

Somewhere in the middle I guess. My kids names are Christian and Halle. They're not really popular or too unique, which is why I love them.

My sister has 4 children and two of their names are on the top 10. Jacob, my nephew's name, has been in the top 10 since he was born in 1999 I think.

• 8 years ago

I shy away from the "popular" names but lean towards the classic more than unique.

My name is unique, and I love it....now. I used to pray that I'd wake up and my name would be "Katie" so I could fit in better.

The names I do NOT like are the "unique spelling" to be "different" - Tiphannie, Krystynah, etc. I'm also not a fan of the names that are "trendy" which to me sound like a teenage mother trying to be "cool" - Nevaeh comes to mind. (<-- WOW, Just Tryin'! Stereotype much!?!)

When I pick names, I think:

How does this sound to ME?

How will it sound to kids on the playground?

How will it look on a resume?

...In other words, I want a name that will grow well with them.

• 8 years ago

are these for the US?i'm fairly sure these weren't on the list i saw

anyway,i chose a classic name because i loved it.yet to meet another child in his age group with his name (his middle name is popular though).i didn't want a popular name,i just knew that there would be at least 1-3 others with the same name when he starts school.so,his name is unique without being 'you-neek' and stupid

• bubs
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I prefer more uncommon names, not odd names just ones that aren't so popular, actually that's one reason why we settled on Rose for our daughter, it was a toss up between Rose and Lily and Rose was less common, though I've since met 3 other girls with the same name around her age, lol.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.