How do I transfer a website created (in Dreamweaver) by a 3rd party in house to my personal computer?

The website for the company I recently started with was created by a friend of an employee (in Dreamweaver) and we have had content editing capabilities through a portal he set up. They would now like to move the entire website in-house so we can manage any layout/structural changes as well as content. I have some very rudimentary experience with website creation (DW CS5), so they have asked me to take over the website once it is moved in house. I'm fairly certain and I can manipulate the existing site without destroying the more advanced techniques the orignal creator used, however, I'm not sure of the best way to actually move the site in-house.

Would it be better to get a hard copy of all of the files and load them into my copy of Dreamweaver? Or is it better to download the files from the FTP host? Any tips for executing whichever method is preferable would also be greatly appreciated!!

Use an FTP client such as Filezilla, connect to the website, then just drag and drop the root folder into the location of your choice on your computer. It will then download the entire website to your machine, and from there, you can edit it with whatever editor however you like. My advice is to make a copy of it somewhere on your computer in case you do something you don't like, you have a spare backup that is unmodified.

http://filezilla-project.org/