My city's police department has a facebook, posts mugshots and names of minors?

They post the names, mugshots, and crime descriptions of people they arrest (prior to actually being found guilty of anything), including minors. As far as I know, it's illegal to post the names of minors in newspapers, so is it really acceptable to post it on a social networking website?

regardless of legality, the entire page is ridiculous. It breeds drama and trouble in a city that is already trash. And if you comment something they don't like, they block you from the page. Someone commented yesterday inquiring about the legality of posting a minor's mugshot, and all comments under the photo were promptly deleted.

This is the link to the page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-of-Utica-NY-Po...

and this is one minor they have featured- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3140614686...

Best Answer

Contact your state attorney to have them file charges for the minors picture and name.

• Slappy

I didn't find any minors on there. They probably did cross a line and screw up which is why the picture and info. on the minor was deleted. That being said though, I hear about arrests all the time on the morning news and the minor's name and age are released. Sometimes that information is initially suppressed but it usually comes out a day or two later so I know it isn't completely illegal to release the name of someone who is underage that gets in trouble. I also found that the page states in several places they reserve the right to delete comments and give a list of specific rules and criteria so I don't think they are really doing anything wrong here.

• Bruce

Adult mug shots and arrest records are public information. They do not need to be found guilty first. I found this disclaimer on the website: All crimes described in this press release are allegations, and suspects named are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Information on minors is confidential unless they are waived into adult court. Once they are waived, their information becomes public record also. Seeing I only saw one minor, my guess is he was waived.

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991

It's a police blotter, they used to print that kind of activity in the newspaper regularly, now I guess this public information is available to the public on facebook.

Complain to whoever you want, I see no violation of the law here.

Contact your county's District Attorney.

When are all you people going to realize that Bruce is the BOSS of this category and just give it up?

His answers are always "spot on" and the rest of you could all learn something from him.

Just sayin'...

Ya I would say that's wrong. You'd think with all the training and schooling they'd have learned that somewhere. lol

call the nearby tv stations. this is illegal