Is this a spider bite?

i woke up with a pain in my left shoulder. upon inspection in the mirror it was a very hard pus filled pimple like spot. there was also what appears to be something black inside. i popped it [with much effort] and very little fluid came out. its still significantly hard. could it be a tick? a spider bite? oh god...not a fun thing for 4 am to be asking :[

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Venomous spider bites are usually minor, but occasionally can cause complications. Some venomous spiders, particularly brown recluse spiders and to a lesser extent hobo spiders and black widow spiders, can cause necrosis with their spider bites.

The first symptoms of a spider bite are similar to those from a bee sting and include pain and a burning sensation (although to some the pain is not noticed at first):

• Within a few minutes of a spider bite it is common to notice a mild redness, itching, swelling, and sense of warmth.

• With carful inspection, you may notice a tiny puncture wound or fang marks from a brown recluse or black widow spider bite.

• A few hours after a black widow or brown recluse spider bite, some victims notice a "bullseye" like pattern with a red spot surrounded by a ring of pink.

Most spider bites, including those from black widow or brown recluse spiders, do not progress beyond these symptoms, but some cause a more severe reaction. More severe symptoms may include severe pain, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, or fever.

Necrosis varies (in order of increasing severity):

• tiny hard spot

• blistering

• lesion with bluish or grayish tint surrounding the reddish tissue (the red-white-blue sign)

• death of skin and fat below the skin

• sunken, open, oozing, gangrenous wounds (relatively rare)

There are some good pictures of the various levels of severity at www.brownrecluse-spiderbite.com

• shawn
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

If it is black it is possible that it is an in-grown hair. If before you popped it you saw two marks then yes it could be a bite. You said puss however which would lead me to believe it is an in-grown hair. If it were a bite it would not fill with puss. Look up pics online google pic or something. look for pics of spider bites or in-grown hair.

A spider when it bites leaves two puncture marks. It matters not how small the spider is because if it is poisonous the area around the bite becomes inflamed and grows to a large size expanding the holes where the bite occurred. They will be parallel to each other. It turns red first then progresses to puss or rotting depending on the spider. If you see two marks and feel ill then yes go too a doctor.

• 9 years ago

sounds more like an ingrown hair. they get a sort of shell around them that is rather like hard pus.

• 4 years ago

Was interested in the answer too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.