Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 8 years ago

Drop out of high school?

I'm a sophomore in high school, 16 years old, and I really want to drop out. I'm not a bad kid or anything, it's not like I want to drop out to go and party all the time, I just feel like it's not for me. I miss a lot of days as it is, usually i'll get sick for a day, but end up missing a few days after that just because I don't want to go back. I don't think it's that hard, it's just extremely boring. I've always gotten good grades when I was younger, but as I got into late middle school and high school, they started going downhill. I think I just got bored with teachers repeating the same thing over and over again, so I would stop listening, which I think affected my grades a little. Plus, I never do my homework. Sometimes i'll forget, but usually I know that I have it, I honestly just don't feel like doing it, which effects my grades a lot, even my teachers say that's the only thing wrong with my grades. I feel like school is just a waste of time. It's the same thing repeated over and over again, plus i'm not too fond of people in my school. I get made fun of a lot, mostly for my weight. I've always been an overweight girl, no matter what I try to do I can't loose any weight. Which makes me dread going to school, knowing that people are constantly judging me. I know a lot of people say "other people's opinions don't matter" and to not listen to anyone cause everyone's beautiful in their own way, which I think is true, but a lot of other people don't. After you constantly hear the same thing, people constantly making fun of you, it really gets to you. Plus, I really hate just sitting in a classroom for an hour straight, then getting 5 minutes to get to your next class and do the same thing, hearing the same concepts you have the days before. Along with the getting made fun of thing, I try my best to look decent so that I won't get fun of, which means waking up at 5 every morning. 5 o'clock, to get up and try to impress people I can't stand. So all in all, I pretty much hate everything about school.I don't want to sit in a hard, cold chair for 7 hours of my day, doing the same exact thing every day, getting made fun of every day, and the only thing I have to look forward to is for the day to end and for me to go home because i'm so tired. It's hell. So now that i've told you my life story, how do I tell my mom? I know for a fact that she'll freak out, she's all about school, but I just can't do it any more, and I don't know how to tell her. She's pretty open minded I think. Like she let me get all the piercings and tattoos and every thing I've wanted, but I've had to ask her a million times before she gave in. I'm only saying that because I know that a lot of parents wouldn't let their kids do that on that age. She's probably the best mom I could ask for, but I don't know how to tell her this. I don't want her to think she's raised me wrong, or that i'm a bad child and ruining my life. If I do drop out of school, I plan to get my GED online and go to cosmetology school, and become a hairdresser. I've always loved doing hair, and I think i'm pretty good at it. IF I save up enough money, I know it'll be kind of rare if this happens, but I want to open my own hair salon. This is probably the longest thing I've ever written, but I thought I would have to explain everything to get a good opinion. All I need to know is how to tell my mom, and if this is a good idea.

Favorite Answer

I'm not gonna tell you what everyone else is telling you. Im gonna drop some knowledge on you. High School is a waste of time (Big surprise!) What do you really learn? -How to conform, how to socialize with idiots (I really do feel for the intelligent few in your sex-crazed, tv addicted, & shallow generation) how to do what you're told, and follow the damn rules. Take a good long critical look around and think about where the future is going. Do you see yourself living the same lifestyle your parents do? Do you really think that school-book education is going to be very important in surviving the future? Do you really think that the monetary system that we have grown up on is going to last as it has through our parents' generations? Now seriously, do you really think that hairdressing is a viable option for survival in this new future we are facing? Take a good look around honey, sh!t ain't the same as it used to be, and the so called "skills" they teach you in HS aren't going to serve you in this new reality that awaits the young... I imagine that this is a hard concept to swallow for an aspiring hairdresser, but think about it *seriously*

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, if I were you I'd quit HS and begin exploring the niches that will be arising in this very different future. And don't get me wrong, I do believe HS is BS, but education is important. You just gotta be careful about what you let your mind be filled with. Good luck

Source(s): looking at the trees, ignoring the forest...
  • John

well dropping out and getting a GED isnt a bad thing, in fact in vermont they passed a law that at the end of tenth grade students take a test and if they do well enough the student doesn't have to go to 11th or 12 grade. it shows initiative. but i would reconsider hairdressing, all the people who cant go to college are going into hairdressing and other simple jobs. you may like it, but you wont be able to make a good living from it.

1

youll regret it

just try sticking around for a while

quit now and get a sucky job...IF you get one

try it for 3 or 4 more years then you can get a decent job