Why is religion a federally protected trait?

Religion is a choice, and more importantly, it also consists of other beliefs about the universe that are largely scientific matters. I understand why religion and gender are protected, but religion is nothing like these things. If one legitimately has a religion that says the earth is flat and aliens are... show more Religion is a choice, and more importantly, it also consists of other beliefs about the universe that are largely scientific matters. I understand why religion and gender are protected, but religion is nothing like these things.

If one legitimately has a religion that says the earth is flat and aliens are watching us, an employer can't discriminate against that person in employment (assuming that is truly their religion)? However, a person having these beliefs would certainly be relevant information in the hiring process (revealing they have their head stuck in the sand).
Update: There is a difference between freedom of religion being guaranteed in the Constitution and religion being a federally protected trait. The Constitution assures that Congress won't act with respect to any religion, but it wasn't until 1964 (I think) that religion was a federally protected trait. Telling an... show more There is a difference between freedom of religion being guaranteed in the Constitution and religion being a federally protected trait. The Constitution assures that Congress won't act with respect to any religion, but it wasn't until 1964 (I think) that religion was a federally protected trait. Telling an employer they can't refuse to hire someone because of their religion is not the same thing as telling Congress they can't make laws limiting the freedom of religion.

Servant of God- Actually you can refuse to hire someone because they can't work on Sundays or Jan 7th.