Reusing toothbrush vs. reusing floss?

People claim that you should never reuse dental floss as it would introduce "more" bacteria into your teeth. Well then, please explain to me why it's okay to use the same toothbrush over and over again. As far as I know, most people don't open up a new toothbrush to use every night ... so how... show more People claim that you should never reuse dental floss as it would introduce "more" bacteria into your teeth. Well then, please explain to me why it's okay to use the same toothbrush over and over again.

As far as I know, most people don't open up a new toothbrush to use every night ... so how is that any different? Everyone says that simply rinsing off dental floss won't rid it of bacteria ... so how is rinsing off your toothbrush any different?

Are the bristles of your toothbrush made with some super-secret, super-awesome, super-magical material that keeps bateria from growing on it, as opposed to the fibers of a piece of dental floss?

I submit that in terms of bacterial growth, there is NO difference between a toothbrush and a piece of dental floss.

So either you can reuse BOTH or you can't reuse EITHER. Which is it?

And before someone suggests that toothpaste actually has something to do with it ... let me counter with this:

Does that mean that as long as I smear toothpaste on my dental floss before each use, then I can reuse it? Because that's pretty much the only difference I'm seeing between the two.

And on that same note, how is toothpaste supposed to "kill" bacteria when antiseptic mouthwash doesn't even get rid of it all?

Bottomline, you can't say that reusing a toothbrush is fine but reusing dental floss is not. Please, prove me wrong with some kind of factual statement to back up the claim.