Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

what can i do to regulate my cats diet?

My cat is indoor. i wanted to know exactly how much food i should be feeding her daily. How much food should i be giving her if i want her to lose weight???

Favorite Answer

Check the feeding guidelines on the back of the bag of food. I feed Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Healthy Weight formula to my three cats and it works great. My two "big" boys are slimming down to a healthy weight.

Below is an article from Nutro about feeding both wet and dry food to help with weight management.

It Up For Better Cat Health ( http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry... )

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it for 25 years now and it's always worked great for my pets. Good luck and hope this helps.

Source(s): Pet nutrition specialist, Nutro.com, owner of three cats (or do they own me)
  • ?

If you want a cat to lose weight, dry food is *not* the way to go. A high quality, high-protein, low carbohydrate grain-free wet food given in small amounts through out the day will help the most. Canned food as more moisture and has lower calories ounce per ounce than dry. It's much healthier for a cat to be eating wet food, with the moisture helping to keep the urinary tract healthy.

If you are near a Petco, I suggest Soulistic gravy-style flavors. But if you're not, a 95% meat pate will do, such as Merrick's Before Grain, Wellness grain-free, or Blue Wilderness.

Check the label on the bag of food - it should have a recommended daily serving and should also have a recommended serving for weight loss. I think the weight loss serving should be about 1/4 cup less than the standard serving. Also make sure you are buying indoor cat formula - it's meant for lazier cats and have less calories.