promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

short answer

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It was an act to ban discrimination against the disabled, mostly in employment. It also mandated braille in signage, disabled-friendly restrooms and elevators, ramps in sidewalks (which are also used by moms with strollers and kids on bicycles), etc. Because of the ADA an employer is not allowed to ask about your health, or to fire you (or refuse to hire you) because of disabilities that don't affect your job performance.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

"The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in

employment [if 15 or more employees, or a government agency],

State and local government services,

businesses that are public accommodations or commercial facilities, and in

transportation.

The ADA also mandates the establishment of telephone relay services for people who use TTYs (teletypewriters, also known as TDDs or telecommunications devices for deaf persons)."

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It requires building designers and owners to accomodate disabled persons. I deal with architects in my profession, and things such as hand rails and wheel chair radii have to be considered. Bathrooms have to have correct dimensions and heights, side walks have to have slopes where only stairs are available, and hall ways have to be large enough for disabled people. Its a good idea because one day you might be in that wheel chair, but it does drive up costs for new and existing buildings.

• B.
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Public buildings must have a handicapped access if the building was built after the specified date. I can't remember the exact date off the top of my head but your school work should have it listed in there somewhere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Crips stand over there

;

Regular people go home

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.