Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPC · 8 years ago

How do I ground myself when building my PC?

I am going to be building a PC and I bought this anti-static wrist strap to stop myself from damaging the components:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-static-Wristband-Wr...

The only problem is that I don't know what to attach the crocodile clip to!

Any help??

Favorite Answer

A bare part of a radiator will do.

Don't sweat it, just don't wear shoes and don't wear baggy clothes that rub together. Keep in contact with the metal case while you're installing parts. As was stated before, you might be lucky to cause ESD damage to your components 1 out of 1000 builds.

If you're still paranoid, you can get an old power cable, cut off the spades so that you're only left with the round "Third" grounding pin, and plug it into your power supply + wall at home.

It's been my experience that components are about 100x more resilient that the manufacturers would lead you to believe.

I think you are putting to much thought into this static thing. I have been building computers for many years more then i can imagine. I never used a static wristband or anything to the same effect. If you are very worried about it just don't build it where there are carpets that's it. I know many people who build computers and none of them use this. Not once have i heard they had problems, it may happen once in 1000 builds, but as i said dont do it on a carpet if you are that worried.

Dude you do no longer could worrie in basic terms carry something metallic, & do no longer do any Idiotic strikes which incorporate, wearing woolen socks and rubbing them lower back and forth on shag carpeting mutually as gleefully slobbering and juggling the upward push enjoying cards. to no longer sound gay yet build it bare in the adventure that your incredibly apprehensive approximately it. I build computers each and all the time & i never have an argument. O & you may take your Wrist band & connect it to any style of unpainted or untreated metallic. which would be certain you reside grounded the full time one hundred%.

Just touch the metal of the power supply with your hand. Then you're grounded.

I bet if you piss your parents off pretty good, they'll ground you. :)

If you go to Best Buy, they have those wristbands. They work pretty good.

Ehhh.... avaksman, you would want to avoid linoleum too.