Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Parallels for Character Names?

Hi all!

I've recently been writing a short story based upon real events that occurred in my life, somewhat of a narrative, but with fictional events intertwined. This is all sort of an attempt to convey certain emotions. Because it is based on real events, there are real people that I want to include. However, due to the topic matter of the story (drugs, alcohol, etc.) I wanted to preserve the identities of those included. The only "but" is that I feel like the names of the people convey some sort of meaning or personality.

I am historically bad at choosing character names, and seem to always end up using the same. I want to see if anyone can come up with parallels for different names, so that I might still be able to envision the character's personality while withholding their identity. You don't really need to know the personalities, just come up with names that might be similar *in meaning* to the name, not just similar sounding. So for example, if one persons name was "William," "Will" probably would not be a good substitute. Thanks in advance!

Here are the Names:

Rob

Stephen

Clayton

Gavin

Thomas

Mackenzie

Amanda

Joe

Zach

Stephanie

Chris

Scott

Hannah

Remember, generic names like "John" and "Tim" would be okay, but I would rather have something with more flare or personality to it. Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Rob= Ray

Stephen= Seth

Clayton= Clinton

Gavin= Gary

Thomas= Teddy or Theo

Mackenzie= Melanie

Amanda= Amber

Joe= Josh

Zach= Zeke

Stepanie= Stella or Sara

Chris= Kyle

Scott= Stan

Hannah= Heather

I know they are all similar, but when I write about people I know I make the name very similar to the person im writing abouts name.

• 8 years ago

Rob ------------------> Rajan (Raj)

Stephen ------------> Benjamin

Clayton --------------> Carson

Gavin ------------------> Finn

Thomas ---------------> Diego

Mackenzie -----------> Kendall

Amanda --------------> Madeline

Joe ----------------------> John Joseph (J.J.)

Zach --------------------> Cody

Stephanie ------------> Gwendolyn

Chris -------------------> Pat

Scott -------------------> Grant

Hannah ----------------> Rebecca

Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.