how to use 9 piece slide hammer dent puller?

it is a tekton 5 lb set. i have pulling screw, pierce punch 2 puller hooks, nose cones, L-puller, and plate edge puller. the dent is in my driver rear quarter panel of my 91 pathfinder. this kit did not come with instruction on how to use and when to use each attachment. iv never done this b4 and sure im going to **** it up but im just trying to learn


it is an old body suv, and a pretty decent dent when i bought it, right behind rear bumper and behind the rear tire. im really just hoping to get good enough to bond0. i just couldent find any DYI with this type of slide hammer online.

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The only possible way to pull a dent with that slide hammer is to do like Bandit said, drill a hole and use the screw attachment. That is a very poor way to pull a dent and that set is not really meant for pulling small dents. A set that big and heavy is meant to do pulls on heavier damage. Drilling a hole is only going to going to provide a very good place for rust to start.

    Professional shops use a tool called a stud gun. It welds studs to bare steel and then a small slide hammer is attached to the stud to pull the dent. The stud is then clipped off and ground flat, then any remaining damage can be filled with a body filler and smoothed out. There are no holes made in the metal so there is nowhere for rust to start forming. The studs can also be placed very close together, something that can't be done when drilling holes and using a screw puller.

    Source(s): 20+ years experience in collision repair ASE certified collision damage estimator ASE master certified collision repair/refinish technician I-CAR platinum certified collision damage estimator I-CAR platinum certified non-structural repair technician I-CAR platinum certified refinish technician Sherwin Williams certified refinish technician DuPont certified refinish technician
  • 4 years ago

    Slide Hammer Dent Puller

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site

    Alot of those other pieces with your slide hammer is to pull out bearings, seals etc. A slide hammer is used for alot more than just dents. From the sound of yours, your dent puller part is the old fashion self tapping sheet metal screw type. Drill a small (tiny hole) in metal of car just to get screw point started in, screw in the screw, put slide hammer on screw and jerk back Depending on size of dent you may have to do this is more than 1 pplace. On large dents its not uncommon to have to drill 5 or 10 diff holes and move dent puller to that many diff spots to get the dent out. Then weld up holes, Or dimple holes with ball peen hammer and fill with body filler (bondo)

  • Andy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    That's old school body repair.Metal in auto bodies these days is too thin to use a slide hammer with a screw attachment.If you want to do the repair yourself it would be better to go to an auto body shop and have them spot weld rods onto it.They spot weld a short piece of wire to a number of places in the dent then use a slide hammer to pull the dents.Then you just break the rod off and grind the spot weld smooth.No holes to try to patch up.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    you drill a small hole in the dent then screw the dent puller in the hole and slide the hammer on the puller back and forth and that suppose to pull the dent out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.