In Your Opinion, Is Displaying The Confederate Flag A Sign Of Racism? Yes Or Not? Why Or Why Not?

(In my opinion) Whether or not something is Racist depends solely on the intent of the person displaying it. If someone sees something which they deem to be racist, it doesn't make it racist simply because their opinion deems it so. If someone is displaying a Confederate flag to honor their heritage, than it... show more (In my opinion)

Whether or not something is Racist depends solely on the intent of the person displaying it. If someone sees something which they deem to be racist, it doesn't make it racist simply because their opinion deems it so. If someone is displaying a Confederate flag to honor their heritage, than it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, for the flag is being displayed solely to honor someone's heritage, which means it has nothing to do with Racism.

Plus, everyone has the freedom to exercise their beliefs even if their beliefs are racist. No one has the right to dictate what others believe, even if its a very ignorant belief(such as Racism). To say otherwise, is to support censorship. People have the right to their intelligence and their ignorance.
Update: @Dreaded, I think it still applies to the license plates. Because they aren't thinking about making the confederate licenses mandatory, they simply want it to be an optional accessory which people can willingly choose. Which means people who don't want it, don't have to have it. While others who want it, can have... show more @Dreaded, I think it still applies to the license plates. Because they aren't thinking about making the confederate licenses mandatory, they simply want it to be an optional accessory which people can willingly choose. Which means people who don't want it, don't have to have it. While others who want it, can have it.

Basically, those who don't want it want to prevent others from having it. Which just doesn't seem right. Because everyone should have the right to willingly choose, right? instead of having some dictate what others are allowed to have.
11 answers 11