sant
Lv 4
sant asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

The best substitute for leeks.?

What is the best substitute for leeks, green onions or normal onions? And if I want to use it in a casserole, do I exchange the same amount of leeks with green onions?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Knowing how maNY y/aERS ARE TOO LAZY TO CLICK & READ URLs, MAY I ECHO CHRISTINE'S EXCELLENT 2 LINKS

GONNA BUY A NEW BLENDER

& SECTIONED 3-VEG STEAMING PAN

• 9 years ago

I would substitute shallots or yellow onions (the kind with brown skin). Green onions aren't that different in flavor from large onions or shallots but they are more delicate-textured, so they're best in soups, scrambled eggs or for garnishing recipes. You could use half shallots and half something else like mushrooms. It really depends what else is in the recipe.

• 9 years ago

Shallots are perhaps the best possible substitution for leeks. They have a similarly delicate texture to properly cooked leeks, and their flavor is mild enough that you do not need to worry about

• 9 years ago

Shallots are perhaps the best possible substitution for leeks. They have a similarly delicate texture to properly cooked leeks, and their flavor is mild enough that you do not need to worry about overwhelming the dish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I would use normal onions because the green ones are just kind for like soups and just like a garnish but if your are cooking it in a casserole then used the green ones.

Source(s): cooking for 8 years.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.