sant
sant asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

The best substitute for leeks.?

What is the best substitute for leeks, green onions or normal onions? And if I want to use it in a casserole, do I exchange the same amount of leeks with green onions?

Favorite Answer

Knowing how maNY y/aERS ARE TOO LAZY TO CLICK & READ URLs, MAY I ECHO CHRISTINE'S EXCELLENT 2 LINKS

GONNA BUY A NEW BLENDER

& SECTIONED 3-VEG STEAMING PAN

I would substitute shallots or yellow onions (the kind with brown skin). Green onions aren't that different in flavor from large onions or shallots but they are more delicate-textured, so they're best in soups, scrambled eggs or for garnishing recipes. You could use half shallots and half something else like mushrooms. It really depends what else is in the recipe.

Shallots are perhaps the best possible substitution for leeks. They have a similarly delicate texture to properly cooked leeks, and their flavor is mild enough that you do not need to worry about

Shallots are perhaps the best possible substitution for leeks. They have a similarly delicate texture to properly cooked leeks, and their flavor is mild enough that you do not need to worry about overwhelming the dish.

I would use normal onions because the green ones are just kind for like soups and just like a garnish but if your are cooking it in a casserole then used the green ones.

Source(s): cooking for 8 years.