Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomGlasgow · 8 years ago

Are Scottish people known to be very intelligent compared to others in britain and Europe?

Update:

i know the Germans are thought to be intellgent..but what about the Scottish? how compared to the English and why?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately all the smart Scots have gone abroad leaving us dumbos behind..

Scots are the least intelligent Brits.

Scotland lags Europe and the rest of the UK in IQ league - although you have the consolation that you are brainier than the French.

SCOTLAND is the least intelligent part of the UK and performs poorly on average IQ against most of Europe, an academic has claimed.

Professor Richard Lynn said the Scots average IQ of 97 was well below the England and Wales average of 100.5 and on a par with the Republic of Ireland. London and the south-east of England scored top in the UK, with an average IQ of 102.

Scotland - when split from the rest of the UK - comes two-thirds down the table of European average intelligence, beating Russia by one point and France by three.

But Prof Lynn, a lecturer at the University of Ulster, said he was not surprised by the poor Scots showing. He blamed the centuries-old tradition of Scots seeking their fortune south of the Border or overseas for a literal brain drain.

Prof Lynn said: "I believe this has been caused by selective migration. Over the course of two centuries, there has been a trend for more intelligent Scots to migrate to London and beyond, to New Zealand, Australia, the United States and Canada.

"Once in London, for instance, they have settled and reared children, who have inherited their high intelligence and transmitted it to further generations."

Prof Lynn claimed that Scotland was not alone in suffering from a long-term brain drain.

He said Corsica had a lower IQ than Paris because people gravitated to the economic powerhouses of major cities. Prof Lynn said: "This has hit Scotland particularly hard, so I was not surprised with this finding."

The survey showed huge variations in IQ across Europe, as well as within the UK. Scotland is 16th out of the 23 European nations, with eastern Europe filling most of the places below that.

Russia, Greece, France, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey and Serbia all score lower averages than

Scotland, with Serbians notching up just 89 IQ points on average.

The European bright sparks, according to Prof Lynn, are the Germans and the Dutch (107 IQ points) and Poland (106 IQ points). The UK as a whole comes eighth, behind Sweden (104), Italy (102), Austria (101) and Switzerland (101).

Gabriela and Monica Irimia, 23, the Romanian pop twins the Cheeky Girls, who live in Britain, said their homeland's poor ranking was an insult. Gabriela said: "Our father is head of the ambulance service in Romania. He's a doctor of medicine and extremely intelligent."

• 3 years ago

LOL@JosF. The Scots have been possibly the main powerful human beings in the international. Andrew Carnegie, Adam Smith, Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, David Hume, Robert Burns... JosF makes a solid element, yet that's probably going one in all the excuses the Scots have been one in all those fulfillment. relatively of being undesirable friends and warring with the English, the Scottish had the solid experience to artwork with English because it became a international potential. (or they did not have a call in case you opt to be a dick approximately it.) despite the fact that, poorer Scots have been additionally especially low on the social ladder, so as that they have got been continuously desirous to pass distant places, and people who did now and lower back performed super wealth or fulfillment as infantrymen, businessmen, scientists, and so on. The Scottish Enlightenment became right into a era around the time of the yank modern-day conflict the place Scottish intellectuals laid down concepts that are nonetheless affecting us to on the present time. Adam Smith, who laid out the yank economic coverage: capitalism and loose commerce, became right into a Scottish economist. enable me supply a quote from wikipedia relating to the Scottish enlightenment which makes me think of of why Scots have been one in all those fulfillment: "Sharing the humanist and rationalist outlook of the ecu Enlightenment of the comparable term, the thinkers of the Scottish Enlightenment asserted the uncomplicated value of human reason mixed with a rejection of any authority that may not be justified via reason. They held to an confident perception in the flexibility of guy to result differences for the extra advantageous in society and nature, guided basically via reason." of course, this does not incredibly stick to to the whiskey ingesting Scotch-Irish who settled Ulster first and then the Southern us of a. Scottish everybody is rebellious, pragmatic, and value the two coaching and potential. they had the 1st public college gadget in Europe, and the emphasis on coaching made Scotland a center for drugs and philosophy. Germany, particularly in the nineteenth century became into additionally a center of gaining understanding of, and the super philosophers of the nineteenth and early twentieth got here from Germany. Marx, Nietzsche, Hegel, Freud, and so on. despite the fact that Germans have not got that experience of individuality and rebelliousness. i think of it relatively is a distinctive style of mind, not unavoidably that one is smarter than yet another.

• 4 years ago

Yes they are. They travelled the world and spread their genetics throughout the lands. So a high intelligence in other countries is a contribution from the Scots.

• TSK
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I asm Welsh and live now in England, working in education. Spent part of my childhood and university years in Scotland, unusually. There is a strong academic tradition there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • guiri
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It is a fact that Scotland has produced more than its fair share of Nobel laureates.

This may be because studying is a great way to pass the long winter nights.

• 8 years ago

Scotland has produced more than its share of great scientists and engineers compared to the rest of the UK.

• John
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Germans more intelligent? news to me why would you think the Scots or more or

less intelligent than the English, strange question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.