What is the best rifle to use for whitetail at a long distance? (300-400 yards)?

Favorite Answer

Just about any centerfire cartridge from the .243 and up loaded right and sighted in at the proper distance.

Popular: .243, 7mm-08, 308, 25/06, 270, 280, 30/06 and 7mm Rem mag.

Ultra flat shooters, 240 Wtby, 257 Wtby, 264 Win mag, 270 Wtby, 7mm STW and most any .30 magnum.

Remington is noted with their tried and true pre- tuned 700 Sendero already set up for long distance shooting in some of the flattest shooting calibers for deer and larger animals at those moderate ranges and beyond..

• august

To be honest, that's a hard question to answer. If you're in my area, you don't need much power to take down a whitetail because they're mostly small. A .243 is a fairly flat-shooting round that will take small whitetails.

On average, though, you're going to want more power than that. I'd advise at least a .308, .30-06, .270 Win (or a WSM), a 7mm Rem Mag, or a .300 Win Mag. for long shots.

On another note, are you sure you can hit a deer at 300+ yards? That's a long shot, so I'd suggest you practice as much as possible and be absolutely sure of your target and the area behind the target.

• CJ

I don't know too many people who are shooting whitetails at that distance. But for the sake of argument, you are...

I would go with trustworthy calibers, with available sources of ammunition, keeping away from wildcat type cartridges.

.308, .270, .30-'06, or 7mm Mag. I wouldn't go too much larger than a .300 Win Mag, that'd be pushing it for deer.

.308 win will drop roughly 6 inches at 300yds that is pretty good a box of 20 if you look arond can get for around 10 bucks. plus a 145 grain bullet will put the smack down on a deer at 400yds

I suggest a Ruger M77 or a Remington 700 in a .308, that caliber is more than capable of dropping a deer with one shot at 400 yards.

I am going to get a .308 next year just so I ca shoot a deer at 400 yards.

And this is to all of those tree hugging animal lovers out there that don't think you should shoot a deer more than 100 yards away.... Go f*uck yourself I don't give a sh*t what you think.

well i say a barret .50 cal jk a .300 win mag or a .338 lapua with a very nice scope

300 win mag nuff said

You need something that shoots flat, I use a 7mm Magnum

7mm-08 .308 or 30-06.

I haven't decided which I like most,they are all good.

7mm or 300mag for that distance.