There is a famous picture of St. Anthony plagued by demons. It's by Martin Schongauer. Is it copyrighted?

If I wanted to use this picture to make profit (such as a cover for a book) would I be able to do so? The picture is on wikipedia and can be found throughout the internet.

Also, how do I know if other artwork which is centuries old may be copyrighted?

Favorite Answer

This image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.

This applies to Australia, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years.

From the Wikipedia file page for an image of Michaelangelo's painting based off of Schongauer's engraving. The same law applies to all pieces of art (the length of time after the author/artists death may vary, but given Schongauer lived in the 15th century, I'm pretty sure the copyright has expired)

Justyn is correct, but there may be hurdles to jump before you can use an image created by a long-dead artist. The museum or collector may have trademarked the art work, making it illegal to reproduce it for commercial purposes. And they may not have.

Before you use it, you need to be sure. I'd get a lawyer on it, if it were me.